London to Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
March 16th 2023
Published: March 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We spent our last full day in London trying to cram in as much as possible, as is usual with us. We again took the "Uber boat" down the Thames all the way to Greenwich, which is an approximate one hour ride through downtown London, and where the meridian line as in Greenwich mean time comes from. The tide was very low in the mornings on the river so we decided to go beach combing in the tidal flats like we had seen others doing. I found a piece of glazed green painted pottery, which according to a sign stated it might be medieval era pottery. I can only imagine the treasures you could find in the muck here!

In Greenwich we took a tour of the Cutty Sark and went to the maritime museum. The Cutty Sark, besides being a whiskey, was first the fastest clipper of it's time in the 1860's, bringing tea from the Orient in record time.

In the maritime museum Dennis headed straight to the Admiral Nelson room. He loves all things nautical, especially British naval history, and this museum had tons of it.We had a lunch of meat pies and mash with liquor sauce and jellied eels outside the Royal Navy College.

We dashed across town to the Sherlock Holmes Museum with the actual real address at 221b Baker St. We didn't tour the museum this time, have to save some things for the return visit, but it looked like a perfect representation of what his 19th century home office would look like. We finished the long day seeing the 1916 Agatha Christies play, the Mousetrap, on the West End. This is the worlds continuously longest running play, and for good reason. It is a classic whodunnit murder mystery, which genre Christie so notably created. I bought the two seat box seats above the stage, definitely a more comfortable show than we had at the globe theater. Dennis compared the seats to Statler and Waldorfs seats, the cranky old men from the Muppets Show, how very fitting.

We passed some evening protests outside of Westminster, which was addressing the immigration crisis here. This particular protest was inn support of the immigrants, with familiar slogans we are used to seeing at home such as "people aren't illegal."The following day we headed off to Wales by train, leaving Euston station on the three hour journey. Luckily we narrowly missed the rail strikes that were staring the following day in England as well, which would have grounded us. Seems as though all of Europe is in turmoil and engaging in some sort of industrial strikes. Let's hope the ferries aren't striking when it's time for us to go to Ireland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement






Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb