Rose and Ron Krumpos in England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
February 12th 2022
Published: February 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

England

Prime rib 'properly served' at Simpson's next to the Savoy
During one trip to London we were guests of the eminent Savoy Hotel, built in 1884 and an original member of 'Leading Hotels of the World.' Also in the Strand - since 1848 - Simpson's restaurant was justly famous for prime rib, but their waiters believed only they could serve it properly...so arrogant it was laughable. It was cold in England and Rose later fled to sunny Majorca while Ron made sales calls on travel agents. We rejoined in Barcelona.

The Savoy used three men to fetch our key (the skeleton type) and two for the revolving door. At Simpsons we were dinner guests of Mullen Cunningham, the Managing Director of Mandarin Oriental Hotels. Rose went shopping at Halcyon Days, Liberty of London, Fortnum & Mason, and Harrods. In Palma de Mallorca, Hotel Son Vida had confirmed a complimentary room for three nights. High on a hill, it encompasses a 13th century castle on 1,400 acres of parkland. Each day, Rose told the front desk Ron was still delayed on business in London.

A quaint dining 'house' in Chelsea with Mandarin Oriental's manager
British Airways brought us to London and Barcelona for hosting 50 European travel agents at the Stanford Court. Tim Reid, Mandarin Oriental's Director of Sales-Europe, and his wife Cookie invited us to their flat in Chelsea, then took us to a quaint restaurant created from a very old house. They were super hosts, with a delightful sense of humor. The four of us had been together in Manila, Hong Kong and Bangkok for meetings.

Traveling six months a year for Mandarin Oriental became tiring. Ron joined the Stanford Court Hotel in San Francisco, another LHW member and Mobil 5 Star hotel, as Director of Sales & Marketing. The Owner of Mark Allen Travel - specialists in the entertainment industry - took Ron to a private club for lunch (no women allowed); cigars were offered instead of desert. Rose and Ron had lunch at San Quentin, a brasserie in London. The menu was in French and the waiter questioned whether Ron really wanted tripe (stomach lining)...his answer "No!"

Dinner at 200 year old Rules, after seeing "Cats"
Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Cats" was playing to sold out houses, but British Airways was able to get us two good seats. After the show, we ate at Rules on Maiden Lane...the oldest restaurant in London (est. 1798). Everything was at an angle: the floors, ceiling, tables. The food was decent, but there was a mustiness in the air that Rose didn't like. From the Tower of London, lunch was at The Carvery: good value, but touristy.

The New London theater was 'in-the-round' with seats on all sides of the stage...a perfect venue for Cats. Everyone had a close-up view of the elaborate costumes and make-up. We had an excellent buffet lunch at Bombay Brasserie in the old Bailey's Hotel (est. 1880). Around Piccadilly, we saw young 'punks' with brightly colored hair and outrageous outfits. The Underground (Tube) was cheap, but tacky. Black Cabs, with high roofs, were great. While Ron was in meetings, Rose took a double-decker bus tour; at Parliament she heard a bewigged Lord drone on.

Sitting next to Shirley MacClaine for lunch at San Lorenzo
On our first visit to London we were given a remarkable suite at The Dorchester Hotel, on Park Lane in Mayfair. Peter Stafford was General Manager, moving from the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. For this trip together we stayed in a flat in Knightsbridge and went to San Lorenzo for lunch, popular with the 'in' crowd (Princess Diana's favorite). We said The Dorchester's concierge made our reservation; embarrassed at having no record, they seated us at a front table. Moments later, Shirley MacClaine sat at the next table.

We came from the nearby Victoria and Albert Museum. San Lorenzo served a wonderful Italian bouillabaisse. It was just two blocks from Harrods, whose immense food court is a gourmet's paradise. Rose's brother, George, was a hairstylist at the shop where Shirley MacCiaine was a patron. Her brother, Warren Beatty, played a character very much like George in the movie "Shampoo." Rose wouldn't let Ron ask her about the coincidence. One trip was just after the Pan Am bombing. Ron 'blew up' at the strict airport security.

Marvelous English breakfasts at the Mill Hay House...a lovely B&B
The next day we drove through The Cotswolds: Bourton-on-the-Water, Chipping Campden, Stow-on-the-Wold, et al. En route we stopped to see Oxford University. In Broadway we stayed two nights at the Mill Hay House...a lovely bed and breakfast. Our home had stone walls, casement windows and a gabled roof, with black face sheep wandering on its lush lawn and a water driven mill. In the kitchen our hostess, Mary, served marvelous breakfasts with British back bacon.

There were eight guests during our stay; six from California who had learned about it from travel notes in the San Francisco Examiner. Mary took all of us to a local pub for dinner. Our Rover was a fullĀ·size, comfortable four-door sedan, a bit large for the narrow roads of the small villages. Driving in the left lane was not a problem, but our window washer sprayed nearby cars. We had a good lunch at the very old White Hart Hotel in Stow-on-the-Wold.

Formal dinner at the Hunters Lodge and a lively lunch at The Hole in the Wall
Nearby, we had a tender veal cutlet and lamp chops prepared by Kurt Friedly, Swiss Owner-Chef of the Hunters Lodge. It was a sedate and formal restaurant with a wood burning fireplace and paintings dedicated to fox hunting. The next day we drove our Rover to Wells for two nights at the Crown Hotel, built in 1450, across from the Cathedral. We continued to Bath where we had lunch at The Hole in the Wall...with colorful decor and lots of lively conversation.

The Crown Hotel was medieval. Our small guest room had warped furniture and a double bed with a lumpy mattress. We couldn't wait to leave. Behind the Cathedral a herd of milk cows suddenly appeared and we have a funny photo of a heifer scratching her nose. We wanted to move to The Hole in the Wall, but their few rooms were full. They referred us to Number 9, who only took repeat and referral guests...not listed in any hotel directory.

A very private venison dinner at Number 9, an elegant B&B in Bath
We spent two nights at Number 9 (for its address), a private bed and breakfast in Bath. It was an elegant place. Our beautiful room had a canopied four-poster bed, fireplace, and a view of the English garden in back. Owner Sue Hayward was taking courses in French cooking and served exceptional pheasant soup and medallions of venison just for us. We had flavorful breast of duck and roast veal at Le Jardin right across the street, too.

In Bath, we watched a parade at the Roman Baths and a scull race on the river of the Parade Ground. We had a nice lunch at Sally Lunn's House, built in 1680. While we were in England, Rose's carpool companions were in an auto accident on the Golden Gate Bridge. All three of her friends from Neiman Marcus were injured seriously.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb