Airedale and the Glorious Yorkshire Dales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
June 7th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Adel to Bolton Abbey - the long way


Part XII

7th June - Wednesday

Today we were off to Bolton Abbey where Paul had left their new Bailey Senator Indiana caravan for us to try out for a night.

We left Adel in good time and headed on the Leeds ring road towards Shipley, which is not too far from Bradford, in Airedale. It was where that we wanted to see another model Victorian industrial village - Saltaire built by Sir Titus Salt for his woollen mill workers. From here we went up onto bleak Haworth Moor and the village of Haworth overlooking the Worth Valley, made famous by the Brontë sisters. Then it was on to Goose Eye a small hamlet near Laycock (Linda had fond memories of the pie floaters served in the pub/brewery here. Sadly we were too early and could not afford to wait. Linda had lived in East Morton near Keighley for a short wile when working in the area.

Good C roads around here! It was Skipton Market Day and was very crowded when we arrived after driving alongside the Leeds-Liverpool canal so we carried on to Settle in Ribblesdale where we stopped for lunch at the Golden Lion
More RhododendronsMore RhododendronsMore Rhododendrons

Behind our van in Strid Wood, Bolton Abbey
Hotel.

Settle, a bustling market town in one of the most scenic areas of the Yorkshire Dales. Settle is well known worldwide as the starting point of the Settle-Carlisle Railway and as a gateway to the Three Peaks of Penyghent, Whernside, and Ingleborough.

We decided to stock up with food for or tea tonight - we were looking forward to being by ourselves and cooking for a change. We had to go to the bank to change some Australian dollars, which caused quite a stir as no one in the bank had seen dollars before.

After a phone call we were on our way to Jeanie and Geoff’s farm on the outskirts of Horton-in-Ribblesdale a small village on the western side of Penyghent, which is the traditional starting and finishing point for climbing the Three Peaks and the Pennine Way passes near the village.

Jeanie is Viv, Linda’s very good friend in Perth’s twin sister and we had promised to call in and see her. We were made very welcome and after a chat and cup of tea went to say hello to the orphan lambs. We missed seeing their son Robert but saw Lizzie, his girlfriend and sister Caroline. They live in a beautiful part of the Yorkshire Dales in limestone country, so with fell walkers and potholers this is a busy little place.

We took the scenic route across the fells to Bolton Abbey crossing some magnificent countryside before dropping down into Wharfedale. The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire own the 30,000-acre Bolton Abbey Estate and it was here that the Caravan Club Park is situated in Strid Wood.

After locating the van we soon made ourselves at home and relaxed with a couple of wines whilst being entertained by several Mallard ducks who were very friendly. It was interesting to see and discover the differences between Australian and British vans and caravan parks and we picked up a few good points in Sandra and Paul’s rather lovely van.

Our tea was a treat of local delicacies we had found and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the van. Thank you so much Sandra and Paul for your kindness - much appreciated.

Total travelled today 109 miles (14.4 kms)
We were in North and West Yorkshire, the Pennine Moors and Yorkshire Dales





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Looking Down into AiredaleLooking Down into Airedale
Looking Down into Airedale

This was woollen mill country in days gone by.
Salt's Mill, SaltaireSalt's Mill, Saltaire
Salt's Mill, Saltaire

Now an art gallery
Not Far From Horton-in-RibblesdaleNot Far From Horton-in-Ribblesdale
Not Far From Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Limestone Country ........... and God's
Check Out the Horns..........Check Out the Horns..........
Check Out the Horns..........

...and the bull in the background
Yes! HowardYes! Howard
Yes! Howard

...what are they, moles?
More Limestone CountryMore Limestone Country
More Limestone Country

You have to love the drystone walls and admire the builders


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb