cartoon rocks at brimham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
April 12th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We drove back from Stanage, and headed to teeside, after a night at the parents we headed off to Brimham rocks, an easy 1hr drive towards Pately Bridge.The Brimham Rocks are balancing rock formations located on Brimham Moor in North Yorkshire, England. The rocks stand at a height of nearly 30 metres in an area owned by the National Trust which is part of the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

There are many variations of rock formations, caused by the Millstone Grit being eroded by water, glaciation and wind, most of which have achieved amazing shapes. Many of the formations have been named, though some imagination is required and the correct viewing angle is helpful. Examples are The Sphinx, The Watchdog, The Camel, The Turtle and The Dancing Bear. None of them actually look like the names they have been given!!!!!!

It was a beautiful day and we had a go at a few rock routes, classic grit!
Ilona scared herself half to death on what the guide book described as an easy route, well try explaining that as ilona was 10m above the ground clinging on for dear life, mean while Dad was clicking away with his camera adding even more pressure as Ilona down climbed. I am quite sure Dad was waiting for a face slap and a pair of broken legs for a good photo.
After the near death experience the four of us and buddy the dog(rat) had a picnic, watching the crowds of people examining and photographing the strange rock formations.






Additional photos below
Photos: 168, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb