Day 3 - Standedge to Hebden Bridge (15 miles)...lovely sunny weather, crossing the M62 and a rather imposing monument


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
April 29th 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 29 April - After a hug, kiss and goodbye to the very sweet lady at our B&B, we caught the bus back to where we left the Pennine Way the previous evening at Standedge, and with at last some fine weather set off into the hills again. We had a bit of a scare as we realised we didn't have our main camera...but it turned out it had been transported with our luggage so all was well. Fortunately we still had our little camera, so it will come as a relief to everyone that there will still be photos to look at for today!

We met with Nick again along the route (who is on his ninth Pennine Way - this time he is effectively doing it twice by going there and back again over about 35 days, with only 1 days rest at Kirk Yetholm!). We passed over a footbridge high over the M62 (apparently the highest motorway in the country) which was a bit of a shock after wandering over barren moorland and bogs. At lunch we shared a couple of pints with Nick and chatted for about an hour exchanging stories about our previous walking adventures, before heading off again along reservoirs, eventually reaching the imposing Stoodley Pike. This enormous 120 foot monument was built on the hilltop to celebrate the abdication of Napoleon - this somewhat phallic obelisk can be seen for miles around!

It was then a pleasant walk down from the moors through lush green farmland, and then down into the valley where we bade farewell to Nick (who we hope to see again on his return from Scotland!) and headed to our B&B in Hebden Bridge. Despite the weather reports in the morning pointing towards rain in the afternoon - we did have a short burst of rain, but overall the weather was glorious!

Hebden Bridge is a delightful mill-town - full of lots of interesting shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs; we were so pleased that we were having two nights here. The town is quite unique in that it has 'double-decked' houses stacked up the steep hill terraces and some lovely buildings along the river and Rochdale Canal. After a tasty meal at a lovely Italian restaurant, it was time to head back to our B&B to rest our weary feet...only 226 miles to go!

If you would like to donate towards our fundraising effort, please go to www.ectopic.org.uk/fundraising/?p=46. Thank you very much for your support. Lavinia and Steve


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Aiggin Stone - Is a guide stone marking the summit of an ancient road. Blackstone Edge, Lancashire Aiggin Stone - Is a guide stone marking the summit of an ancient road. Blackstone Edge, Lancashire
Aiggin Stone - Is a guide stone marking the summit of an ancient road. Blackstone Edge, Lancashire

From the Aiggin Stone onwards for three miles, the Pennine Way crosses into Lancashire (this is its first and only time) after this the Pennine Way crosses back into West Yorkshire.
Steve sizes up Stoodley Pike... Steve sizes up Stoodley Pike...
Steve sizes up Stoodley Pike...

The Stoodley Pike Monument was built during the Napoleonic Wars and completed in 1815. Despite its monolithic construction, the monument has collapsed twice! In 1854 and again in 1918.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb