Well so much for being sensible...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire » Halifax
December 23rd 2011
Published: December 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Manchester Christmas MarketManchester Christmas MarketManchester Christmas Market

The bar in which I sank a few lovely German Lagers.
Of course... I knew the script only too well. Stay in Friday and Saturday and do well most of Sunday to ignore the call.... Only for Sunday evening to come along and no longer can I refrain from going out and socialising, I hit the pub and arrive home at 3am!! Missing the next day through sleep!!

Wasn't all that bad despite the obvious expense incurred, I was in a pub where my mates mum is the landlady so I asked if there were any shifts going, was told to come in on the Tuesday and she'd let me know...

After wasting the Monday I went in on the Tuesday and was offered a trial the day after.

I also went to the German Christmas Markets in Manchester on Tuesday evening, for anyone that hasn't been the markets are an absolute must, they certainly get you into that festive spirit, I don't really care for the stalls and the overpriced stuff they sell rather the atmosphere the market creates, very festive indeed. A few pints were sunk and a good time was had by all.

So yesterday I did my first four hours at the pub, went fine, got straight back into the swing of things within a few hours. So now I have the part time job that I craved, however the only issues are;

The location - The location means that it's going to cost me £6.50 in a taxi home if on a late shift (and whilst not buying bus passes for a full time job it'll also cost me £3.50 to get there, so £10 per shift)

The Wage - It is minimum wage unfortunately. £6.08ph, it's not so bad but when taken into account the other negatives you can see why it's not ideal.

The shifts - At the moment the shifts seem to be in 4 hour shifts, so for four hours after £10 travel I'm coming out with £14, it's not great at all.

However having said all that, if I have a full time job, the travel cuts down to just getting home, I'm hoping they'll give me 2 nights and maybe a sat or sun. So it'll serve it's purpose and it'll just be extra saving money. At the moment it's kinda pointless.

Tonight was my second shift, tonight also made me realise how much I do actually love bar work, I love the customer facing and the interaction you can have, the only heavy downside is I also crave to be the other side of the bar to enjoy myself with them, if it were my place I'd definitely drink with the punters in some form of moderation or I'd have my laptop with me and be there if needed for a drink or what have you, because at the end of the day the bar is by and large dead. The punters drink by the bar so the tables don't get messy, it's much easier and more laid back then when I worked in a town centre bar.

So it's been a up and down few days. I've spent money I shouldn't and missed an appointment for shitty benefits that I am seriously upset about (laziness) but at least I've secured a few months part time work which is something I craved for a while to go along side my full time job, now I just need to get that all important full time job and I could be on the straight and narrow for saving and spending.

As I've said before, things are never never straightforward, not in my life nor anyone elses.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb