Sure is nice in Shoreham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Shoreham-by-Sea
March 26th 2010
Published: March 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Panorama - The walk across the Seven Sisters from Beachy Head to Burling Gap.

Day 9 The day started a bit more slowly for us because of the late night we had. So Rob was quite relieved that I didn't want to go out siteseeing this morning. It was an opportunity to collect thoughts and maybe nap again, upload photos and catch up with blogging.

But during the morning, Jessie dropped in looking all refreshed after last night's party and the postman came in for a cuppa too. Well, he is the postman, but he's Rob's friend, Steve. He's another 'Sea Change' person who was living the high pressure life travelling to London everyday, dealing with large corporations and not actually living. So when he had the chance to work locally, with less stress and time on the road, he took it. So instead of driving 3 hours to and from work each day, he now drives FOR work every day but it's around this beautiful seaside town of Shoreham by Sea. He's a popular local and has a routine each day of visiting pubs between 3-7pm.

This first day, we went for a walk in the drizzling rain across the fields, through horse paddocks and along a muddy trail. This was the scenic route to the little town. It was a great walk and Rob decided to practice some of his acrobatic skills. The trip down a little hill was particularly slippery and before we knew it he was showing off his back flip with 1/2 pike and somehow stuck the landing with his foot in a tree. The East German judge was impressed. No harm done except his pride. The foot wasn't supposed to be in the tree.

All cleaned off now the remainder of the day was exploring the cultural side of Shoreham...in the pubs. We had lunch at the Bridge Inn, then we met Steve and Sutar's Yard, we three walked 20 metres to the Lazy Toad (an interesting place full of cartoon paintings of Frog Porn), then back past Sutar's to Marlipins and finally to the Sovereign. I met locals, young and old, and enjoyed different beers in every pub. The atmosphere changes for each pub too. But there is the playful banter amongst them all that only comes from knowing each other really well. We definitely couldn't back up the party last night with another late one so called it a night around 7pm.

This is the kind of town I've been hoping to find and I'm sure there are plenty more. Beautiful buildings that are centuries old and friendly locals who are almost as old as the buildings.

Day 10 A day in the Country. Rob's mother, Patricia, was kind enough to take us on a tour she often does when there are visitors. She would drive and describe points of interest as we pass by. She would also add other tidbits of information about the area and even some about Rob. We stop in Lewes and explore an old building called the Needle Makers. In the depths of this place is a best second hand shop I have ever seen. Too bad we couldn't spend too much time there. It would have taken days to explore everything. Then up to the castle remains to learn a little more about Simon de Montfort who was described, among other things, as 'a manifest adulterer and distinguished lecher'. Writing history can be funny. I wonder what future historian's will say about some of the powerful people of our day.

We move on to Alfreston for lunch. This quaint town (I'll use quaint a lot) is typical of english country towns and there is indecision over where to have lunch. We found a wonderful little place that had won awards and the menu items sounded delicious. So we chose the place across the road. ha ha. Our lunch was wonderful, when it finally arrived, and the female german waitresses were interesting in their own way. We did score free coffee for waiting so long for my apple and rhubarb crumble with custard. mmmm yummy!

Next destination was Burling Gap where white cliffs meet stone beach meet English Channel. An incredible place to explore. We drove on further up to Beachy Head and Rob and I walked the few miles back to Burling Gap where Patricia would meet us. The ground is spongy and the walk was terrific.

Last year I saw a special on TV about the moving of large buildings from one place to another. I saw one about a lighthouse. It was perched on the cliff, as they do, but this cliff was eroding and the local people feared that the lighthouse would one day fall into the sea. Today, I learned that this particular lighthouse in the TV show IS the one on the hill at Burling Gap. Cool.... you can see where it was originally, dangerously close to the edge.

The day is a long one and we make our way back to Patty's place and say our goodbyes. What a wonderful lady and a great way to see parts of England not normally in the guide books.

I have underestimated how much I would like England and her people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Op ShopOp Shop
Op Shop

This place has everything
Tom Paine - in the town of LewesTom Paine - in the town of Lewes
Tom Paine - in the town of Lewes

Godfather of American Independence and the co-author for the French Constitution. Lived in this town for 6 years.


30th March 2010

Good on you lynnie, how can you not fill more suitcases full of that second hand stuff?! Must be torture x
30th March 2010

2nd hand stuff
It was difficult to leave but if I was on my own I would have bunked there overnight.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb