Haslemere - The Perfect Short Break


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Haslemere
September 23rd 2022
Published: September 23rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Haslemere is one of my favourite places to stay in the UK with fabulous walks, views and history. A great place for a short break away.

Previously home to the late Arthur Conan Doyle, the writer of the world renound Sherlock Holmes, who moved to Haslemere from London in 1897. His former residence was called Undershaw, which he lived in until 1907.

Aside from interesting history there are some brilliant places to walk locally such as the devils punchbowl, Waggoners Wells and some beautiful local trails in and around the town.

The town itself is beautiful, quite upmarket, with a number of nice restaurants and pubs to eat or drink in. It's also highly accessible with direct trains to london and portsmouth and the A3 motorway which goes directly to both of those cities too.

The best thing about Haslemere and it's local areas is the fact that it's not very well known and it's not a typical "holiday destination". The area isn't littered with hotels or B&Bs which make it more attractive as it's very much undiscovered and you won't find lots of other ramblers walking about.

From driving in the Surrey Hills to visiting some of the beautiful scenery of the devils punchbowl you will truly feel like you've gone to a different part of the world in some parts of Haslemere. You can go mountain biking around wagoners Wells, parts of which the army use for training exercises because it's so vast and expensive. At the devils punchbowl you can go hiking for hours into the depths of the British countryside. The winding path there around the mountain was previously a road to London and is something of a rarity in the UK. It certainly wouldn't be out of place in a South American rural commute.

Have you been to Haslemere on a short break or for a visit?

Comment below!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb