The West Country


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset
July 18th 2007
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As I watched the weather forecast this morning, I saw the weather down south would be much sunnier so, I made the spur of the moment decision to head southwest…to the West Country. This is the term the English use to refer to the finger of land that juts out into the Atlantic culminating at Land’s End.

In the county of Somerset, I passed through the Cheddar Gorge, the largest gorge in the United Kingdom. While riding with Martin the previous day, the Triumph felt flustered and out of breath as it tried to keep up with Martin’s mighty, mighty Goose. However, riding without the pressure to keep up, the Triumph felt transformed and in its element. trundling along the narrow English backroads at around 70 mph, the Triumph was a joy to ride and that sumptuous soundtrack only added to the enjoyment. After the previous day’s showers, this day was turning into a glorious display of English sunshine.

Continuing in a southwesterly direction, I entered the Exmoor National Park which straddles both Somerset & Devon along the Bristol Channel.







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Cheddar GorgeThe Cheddar Gorge
The Cheddar Gorge

The largest gorge in the United Kingdom.
ExmoorExmoor
Exmoor

Approaching the entrance to the Exmoor National Park.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb