KLW the final chapter.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Taunton
August 2nd 2017
Published: August 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Back to England. Somerset near Taunton in a little spot named Simonsbath. It's rained all day and the skies are a dull, thick grey but it doesn't matter as the KLW is now ancient history.

From Fussen on the train to Munich, from Munich to the Flughaften (the airport) on the S8, to England, Manchester thanks to Luftansa and then train to Birmingham and to Taunton where Lee and Francis were there to collect me and take me to my new home. Historically we have flown to Manchester (close to my original walk, the Coast to Coast) and despite the fact it's a 4 hour train trip I booked to Manchester again much to the protest of everyone here who thinks any 4 hour journey by train is impossibly long and incredibly silly. Well I like trains!

But whatever I'm back with Lee so all the trains, planes and automobiles are worth it.

It's bye to Julie who today flies to Dubai and has a couple of days there before completing her holiday and returning to school. A lot was asked of her and she delivered so I'm sure she'll have a couple of tales for those at school (probably 'don't do the TMB if someone asks do you want to go on a walk!). But the TMB and KLW were very good to us. I thoroughly enjoyed the walks and all that goes with them. The food, the beer, the places, the people it's a combination that just works.

Is there a city that looks good from a train? If so I've not seen it. The only appealing thing I saw from the trains were big, plump and ready to pick blackberries. That has to be my next activity.

The day has been spent almost exclusively inside as its been so inclement here. It's colder than I've experienced in a month, raining or if the rain stops, it drips from the trees and it does not look like it will stop all day. The forecast is poor but again it does not matter as its just time to say hello to Sandy and Francis and share some stories with Lee.

It seems likely we will go to Portugal to visit Nic and Sally so that may fire up the blog again in some guise. Otherwise it's not until about the 20th that things start to happen. Then it's Wales, the Peak District, Shakespeare time, the Lake District, Hadrian's Wall and then into Scotland via Ben Nevus, Loch Lommond and the Isle of Skye. So there should be something to write about.

Until then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb