The Wicked Witch of the Wookey!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Glastonbury
January 29th 2006
Published: January 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In spite of the cold, today was quite an exciting morning as it was the first day we've had some REAL frost! I'm talking white cars and roads... footprints when you walk... crunching and sliding... the works! For me it was an event although I can say that I don't think Emily was quite as excited about it as we grudged through the cold to get to the 24-hour 7 stop since our usual busses weren't running this early.

We left for school at 7:15 today because we had to meet at 8:00 to go to Glastonbury and WOOKEY HOLE! If you asked me at that time what those things were I would have said it sounded like a miniature golf course to me... but who knows.

The bus ride was a bit long but the first place we stopped was the Wookey Hole. Although we're talking ridiculous tourist trap that sells glowsticks and brochures and everything your heart could imagine for the price of your left leg, the fact that we went for free made it a pretty exciting adventure in my opinion. I don't know if anyone could really understand the tour guide. He talked quickly and made jokes in his heavy British Accent... not to mention that we were usually in the back the whole time... so I don't think I can really tell you the significance of this place. The Wookey Hole itself is a series of underground caves that divers and people have been exploring that are connected to a set of hotsprings and a small river. There's some legend about a priest who found a witch in there and then the witch turned to stone... or something along those lines.

Anyway, the tour takes you through the caves which is pretty cool becasue it almost feels like your mining.... but I was completely confused about the rest of the place. Once you leave the caves you walk through this Dinosour Kingdom with sounds and plastic Dino statues... then after that you go through some crazy fun house, a hall of mirrors, a penny museum, a couple of gift shops, a fake casino, a paper press, and then FINALLY you are back out in the real world. I kind of felt like all the tourist traps in the world blew up and kind of randomly fell together and was randomly titled "Wookey".

From there we stopped off at Glastonbury. It's a small town where apparently Jesus had visited at some point in his life and where the Holy Grail is hidden in some woods. There isn't much to say about the town considering about 90 percent of it was closed because it was a Sunday and the other 10 percent was either vegan or vegetarian cuisine. After lunch we took a trek up to "Gastonbury Tor". When I say trek... I'm not kidding. From now on I am going to request a written arrangement of exactly where we are going and how they plan to get us there before each excursion. The Tor is on this huge hill in the middle of this town and to get us there we had to climb over fences, slosh through tons of mud, and climb up what could have been Mt. Everest. The girls made a consensus that this place isn't actually of any importance but rather the school was looking for a secret way to give us a physical fitness test. Once we got to the top the view was pretty cool. You could see all around Glastonbury and thankfully it was a clear day because the view was gorgeous. Unfortunately we had to leave before we could go on any personal expeditions because apparently on that hill there is a door that leads to the fairy world... and to be quite honest... I kind of wanted to find it.

On the way home we stopped off at Avebury where we visited the Avebury Circle... the largest stone circle in England. We didn't stay long because it was getting dark and very cold but we did have enough time for both Emily and I to sit in the "Devil's Chair", where are told if you sit and make a wish it will eventually come true.

By the time we got home we were so exhausted that we went to bet at 20:30... pretty pathetic of a couple of 20 year-olds eh?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb