Normandie & UK Days 8 & 9


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Frome
June 11th 2019
Published: June 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Having bought some of the produce from our France Passion spot on Saturday night, first job Sunday morning was to go into the nearby town of Montivilliers to find a cash machine so we could pay for it!

Mission accomplished, and honour satisfied, we set off to LeHavre. Not only have we never used this port before, we couldn't remember ever visiting it either! Being a Sunday, it was fairly easy to drive into the centre since most businesses were closed. Parking, too, was no problem, in the big park-like square in front of the Hotel de Ville. Wandering off, we found another square where a bar was open, and a stall selling (among other things) paninis. So that was lunch sorted. After a bit more wandering, became suspicious of the weather's intentions so went back to the van and relaxed with our books for a while.

Later, made our way over to the ferry port, and found the best place to stay the night. One other van was there, then a guy rolled up in a "Pemberton" 3-wheeler sports car! Turns out he'd been at an event in the Pyrenees, but had developed a mechanical problem and come back early. Having checked at the terminal that he could go on the morning ferry, he proceeded to put up a small tent on the grass next to the check-in lanes! Rained from then on, all through the night.

Not a brilliant sleep, as there was a lorry with something running, but not too loud.

Monday morning, up in time for a quick cuppa and shower before check-in. Unusual ferry, with only single-end access, so the smaller vehicles were directed to swing right round in a big U ready to disembark. Very pleasant boat though, with comfortable reclining seats. Food was good too, both breakfast and lunch.

Looked for South Downs Motorhomes in Portsmouth for some bits, but the postcode on their website only led us to Morrisons so gave that a miss! Reached Tony's brother Andy's, at Frome, about 5pm - and enjoyed home-made steak and kidney pie!

856 km. so 156 over these two days

Advertisement



Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb