Here and workin' it


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
November 20th 2013
Published: November 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well

A lot has happened since my last epistle.

When you left me last I was getting ready for the next leg. The 12 and 1/2 hours to heathrow was bearable considering the digs, but it is still tiring. Gaynor's aunt met us at Heathrow and escorted us to the tube to take us to South Harrow, which included a change of trains at stations which are not designed for people with enough luggage to comfortably justify an explanation of " Oh, yes we are moving house, why do you ask?"

But an hour later we were at South Harrow station and following Aunty Gaynor for what seemed like an interminably amount of passageways, fire doors interspersed with left and right hand turns. For 2 people, jetlagged, it was confusing, to the point that we actually got lost getting back to the guest suite. we settled in and were invited to A.Gaynor's for dinner.

We dined on a very well cooked satisfying meal of roast chicken and veg with a nice bottle of Italian red wine (very serviceable) . lasted a couple of hours, spoke a lot about family etc the had to excuse ourselves as the Fairy Godmother was starting to nod off. Heading back to the guest room ( we got lost twice) and quickly got into bed to sleep our jet lag away.

It lasted till about 3 am. Then on and off until we could no longer toss and turn pretending we were asleep. I got up and headed out for a walk. It was fresh to say the least, but I enjoyed it walking along with absolutely no idea where I was going but memorising the route so if all else fails I will find my way back. I do like to do a circuit as opposed to out and and back. I finished up passing by a Costa coffee shop and bought a Cappuccino for Gaynor and a double shot for me. Not enough for a paper left from my 5 pound so I dropped off the coffee and went back to the Polish off license to get the paper.

Up to Gaynor's for breakfast then onto the 258 bus to Watford for a shopping trip to by warm things for the trip north and the river boat cruise. We sat on the upper deck at the front and Gaynor talked about and pointed to all the sights she grew up with as a child.

The bus took 1 hour and we wandered about, Gaynor bought some gumboots lined with sheepskin. They had a fox pattern on them as well as a hat. Very stylish. I purchased a jacket which is very warm. Had lunch at a very traditional local cafe called Wagamama. Gyzo and Ramen. Good old fashioned tucker.

Back on the bus to prepare ourselves for dinner with the rest of Gaynor's cousins. John and his wife Lisa, Richard and his wife Julie and Paul. Went to a little Italian restaurant in EastCote and had a wonderful evening telling stories of each side of the families. I had monkfish for the 1st time and found out why it is always raved about in cooking shows. Very palatable. Gaynor had the chicken. Back to the flat and talked with A.Gaynor for a while then more catchup sleep.

I hit the road at 7am to catch the 140 bus to Heathrow to pick up the rental. The bus took 1 hour then it took me 1/2 hour to negotiate all the construction occurring, with security people constantly turning me back because I didn't have any credentials. Finally found my way to Avis, got the car and headed back to pick up Gaynor and the luggage etc. It was not the car I ordered, I booked a Ford Focus and gor upgraded to a Citroen Picasso C4 7 seater family wagon. Upgrade???? I suppose it would come in handy if I wanted to pick up 5 hitch hikers and their luggage. Plenty of room. Anyway it drives nice and is a diesel. Could have been worse (maybe).

All packed up and headed of to see another cousin Anne-Marie, her mother Nellie (a very sprite 90yo) and the rest of the family. The plan ( in my head anyway ) was call in, a hello with lunch and head off to Bath. All went well, spent a great afternoon chatting over some delicious carrot and coriander soup. Stephen then headed of to pick up Rachel, their youngest and I said what time will you be back. He said 5 and I replied that we might be gone by then.

"Oh, your not staying for dinner?"

Yes. we stayed for dinner, which was great as we got to see 2 of three children, Rachel and Joseph. Very grown up since the last time we saw them. A lovely roast chicken and veg. So after getting directions from Stephen (Anne's other half) on how to get to Bath we headed of into the night.

Getting to Bath was easy enough with all the roads sign posted well enough. Hit the town around 9:30 and then drove around blindly for 1/2 hour looking in vain for our B&B. Bath was not built for vehicular traffic and is full of one way circuits with lanes off to the side. Without a GPS or a map of any consequence we manage to drive around aimlessly, passing one hotel 5 times, until we magically popped out into the Circus which is where our digs are located. Parked, found the key and lugged our trunks up 4 flights of stairs to our room. The Thomas Brock. Settled in, demolished a bottle of house red from the Cafe next door and passed out until 6:30 am.

I had to locate a proper parking space by 8 am as where I was ceased to be one by that time. The B&B (Brocks Guest House) give you a parking permit which gives you unlimited parking as long as you are in a proper designated parking area. Breakfast was the traditional Bacon and Eggs. Nice. We are heading out for a tour of the town on a Hop on-Hop off tour bus. Should fill the day. I might even figure out how to upload some photos.

Anywho, I will post again soon

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb