Summits


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
July 14th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CheddarCheddarCheddar

The video of Meg is taken at the top of this gorge.

Conquering Heights



Shane has been challenging his fear of heights regularly here in Europe.

This post is about a few of our high up adventures!!

Part I: Cheddar, West England

We went to Cheddar on an off chance (well not really..Meg likes cheese and that decided it). We did get some really lovely cheddar cheese, and 5L of cider (Meg eagle eye spotted this farm fresh cider shop on the way in). More on the escapades of the cider later.

Much to our surprise Cheddar features a gorgeous gorge..called of all things Cheddar gorge. See ajoining pics. We did a half day hike to the top of the gorge and were blessed with some lovely vistas. See the attached video of Meg's reaction! In some of the pictures you will see two jagged peaks jutting out from the top of the gorge..the video is from the top near there.

Part II: Conwy Castle, North Wales

This is a magnificent castle built by Edward I, King of England after conquering the Welsh. The four towers offer amazing views of Wales and the Atlantic ocean. There a video attached, check it out!

Part III: The big one: Snowdon Mountain

Mt. Snowdon is a 10km hike to the summit. That is like hiking around Elk lake...but uphill. The peak is the highest in Wales and, with the exception of the Scottish Highlands, the highest in the UK. The peak is literally in the clouds (as you can see from the pictures). Shane may have whimpered a bit as we approached the summit, but that was mostly because we arrived at the same time as a train full of warm lazy people so the summit was packed with kids and old folks...so much fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

CheddarCheddar
Cheddar

We could have walked out onto those peaks..but didint


27th July 2009

Crags, Fog, Green
Wow. Wales sure does look like Wales. I'm amazed.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb