Preparation


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
November 23rd 2005
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I've got only two days go until my flight to Mexico City. Despite having spent some good chunks of time abroad before, every trip is very different in so many ways: destinations, finances available, objectives plus the experience of the previous trips.
I believe I've gonethrough an evolutionary process over the course of my trips abroad in converging upon what I want to take from my time abroad and the best way in which to achieve this.

This is a pretty important thing for most people to fathom - to reach the point where they know what they want to do and what's the best way to try and do it. This may sound all a little philosphical but I think it is a big mistake to do what for many may be a once in a lifetime trip abroad without thinking about their approach to it and what they are going to get the most enjoyable and best experience out of it - with no regrets.
This is could be fairly simplistic and unspecific as is mine (see below)

As I said above I've reached the conclusion that the things I enjoy most from travelling are not just seeing the major sites or attractions but the freedom to do whatever I want. The lack of restrictions, sometimes just chatting with locals and other travellers, this is probably best said as experiencing it rather than just seeing it.
Chance and judgement definitely comes into it, if you take a more risky approach you are bound it get it wrong sometimes but good and bad experiences are better than nothing memorable at all.

I've summarised my travelling philosphy below:

Transport:
1). Try to hitch rides: With locals, travellers, whoever. Brings some randomness and adventure to the table.

2). Hire a (local or unofficial) guide:
a). Pay some local guy good money (for him!) to show you some stuff off the beaten track.
b). Or to give you a walking tour and talk about the town, try to push for information beyond the tourist book. How the town really works, beyond the superficial impressions formed.

3). Rent a car or moped:
a). Pick up hitchers.
b). Good way to get to more cut-off areas, with better reliability and convenience then by hitching or using local transport.
c). Particularly useful to get to hard to reach spots and for general cruising.

4). Hire a bike: A great way to explore many cities and towns and get away from the typical tourist sites and areas of town without being as time consuming as walking (plus you can still go at walking speed!). Grab a map and get riding, maybe take in some of the straggler tourist sites, but just ride thinking that way looks interesting, that way doesn’t - see what happens.

5). Use local transport (economy): People in less touristy areas and smaller towns tend to be friendlier and more interesting as they are likely to live their lives in a very different way to me and will have a greater interest in my background as a result.

6). Intrepid style tours: Don’t rule out this option. It can be the only decent way to see something and it is good for meeting other backpackers when you want a return to normality.

General:
7). Goodwill:
a). The same idea as 3) but initially free with a voluntary payment.
b). Reciprocal agreements of staying with someone and offering something back in return.
c). Take advantage of any generosity offered and try to offer something back.

8). Use the local language: Keep improving Spanish and learn local indigenous languages (basics).

9) Work in the area (paid/voluntary): Time gives a balanced perspective of a place, the true pros and cons of it - it’s better to see the truth than believe the dream.

10). Ask local advice of places to go: E.g. Bars/clubs/restaurants/sites/interesting people/ recommendations for work (word of mouth). Emphasise that you don’t want the standard tourist scene.

11). Just take a chance: Good and bad experiences are better than mediocrity (within reason!). Always think is it nerves or reason that is saying no, if it just nerves - do it, if it’s reason give it some more thought.

12). Just Chat: What do they do for fun? places they go, friends they have, work - how long are their hours, how much are they paid. Also how much exposure to western culture/outside world do they have. Awareness of world events, opinions of them and of other cultures religions, local politics and corruption. The list is endless. Smaller towns are normally easier to do this in. People seem less rushed.

13. Go with the flow: Have a rough plan of direction - but constantly be willing to moderate/change it as and when something comes up. Reduce all self-imposed restrictions and give as much flexibility as possible into allowing whatever could and can happen to happen.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb