Stonehenge & Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a day trip out to the cities of Stonehenge and Bath. We did not stay in Stonehenge for a long time, but we were able to see the great and ancient stone circle there, which was a very cool thing to see. I don't know how to describe it really... they still don't really know the reasoning behind building it. I was just amazed how much of it still remains-- it was built thousands of years ago!!
After Stonehenge we journeyed to the beautiful little city of Bath. Even the drive their was beautiful... the countryside was full of rolling hills and cute little houses like you see in movies!! When we arrived in Bath, we first went to get some lunch. Three other girls and myself went to a small little sandwich shop in one of the alleys and had our first true dining experience here abroad. My friend was dying to try a Bacon Baguette (which she enjoyed very much) and I had a delicious mozzarella and mushroom toasted sandwich. Once we finished lunch we went and saw the ancient Roman baths, where the Romans used to swim as well as bathe in. It was cool, there is even a hot spring in a larger bath that is still running today. We weren't allowed to touch the walls or water though, as they were made with lead (no wonder so many Romans died from these!). Anyways, that was a very interesting sight to see.
Then we just sort of wandered the city. It was a truly beautiful city-- all of the buildings were old yellow-stoned and there were many cute little shops along the way. We managed to find our way to the Bath Abbey, which was this huge, incredible church. We looked around seeing beautiful stained glass windows, an extravagant organ, tablets posted all over the walls of the church, and the priest even came up and said a very nice prayer while we were in there.
We did have to carry our umbrella with us, as it did rain most of the day, but it didn't make a huge difference.
Once that was done we hopped back on the bus and ventured 3 hours back home. Now I think I am going to go and meet up with a few friends from Iowa that are interning here through a different program. I'm excited to see them, and it should be a nice little break!
Will have a busy weekend here in London as I start work next week and still feel like for as much as I've seen this week I still have so very much to see!! Good thing I have 2 months here!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th June 2007

awwww Rinny it looks/sounds like you're having a fabulous time!! has anyone said "'elllooo bobbit" yet? lol if any guy ever says that to you....he's the one haha. hope you have a great weekend! love you/miss you!

Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb