Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
July 11th 2005
Published: July 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today ISU paid for us to go to Bath and get in to see the Roman Baths there. It was pretty cool, i finally got to see all of the parts of a classic roman bath that I learned about a long time ago in Latin in high school - I have seem some baths before, but none as extensive as this one. The baths are right over a source of natural hot spring water, so the Romans thought they were a gift from the gods and built an extensive complex for a temple, as well as the monstruous bath house with its many different kinds of pools and rooms, some heated by vents under a raised floor. At the end you got to try a drink of it for 50 pence, although it was a bad deal since it was really hot, bubly and tasted like metal, probably since all the original lead pipes still work today and are still water-sealed. I probably wouldn't go into this amount of extensive detail about them unless I had studied them extensively in Latin. We also saw the Abbey nearby (where the first king of England was crowned) and some crappy museum of costumes (for some reason, I'm not sure), as well as the river Avon and its waterfall/dam that have become a symbol of the city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb