Shakespeare, chocolate and Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
March 13th 2004
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.7523, -1.25582

After a slight detour through the gardens at New Place, which happily took us through a parking lot where I could squeal over a Smart car, we walked to <a href="http://www.stratford-upon-avon.org/">Holy Trinity Church</a> to see Shakespeare's grave. The verger who was taking donations at the entrance was an adorable older man, who wanted to know where we were from, etc. He glanced this way and that, then told us that if we wanted to take a picture, we could ("Shh"😉.
 
Beautiful little church -- with Bill and his family earning permanent front-row seats. As we left, Mr. Verger-man asked Sara if we'd gotten our photographs. "Yes, thank you so much." With a sly downward look, he proclaimed us "Naughty Americans." That just tickled us, and we used the phrase quite a few times thereafter.

We walked along the River Avon to Shakespeare's birthplace. Gorgeous day, and the flowers were starting to bloom all over. A quick stop at <a href="http://www.stratford-upon-avon.org/">Anne Hathaway's cottage</a>, and we were on our way toward.....

a href="http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en/cworld">Cadbury World!</a> If we'd known that we'd actually make it there, and at what time, we could have booked tickets for the tour ahead of time. As it was, we hadn't, and didn't, so the next available tour was 3 hours away. No worry -- we could keep ourselves plenty amused by shopping!! Everyone else had completed their shopping, and I was nearly done, when the fire alarm sounded. I found a place high up to stash my basket, and made my way outside.
 
First, let's set the background: Saturday afternoon. Girl Guides. Boy Scouts. School groups. Church groups. Hundreds of children. At a chocolate factory. After we'd all been kept outside for a few minutes, and the Cadbury Emergency vehicle (along with some real firetrucks) had proclaimed the scene safe, we stayed back a bit. Once back inside, I finished my shopping - £28 worth (about $50). We had more chocolate in that van than is safe around 5 red-blooded women. But I'm glad to say that most of it made its way back to the States.

We drove to Oxford, where we quickly found the B&B that we'd pre-booked in Stratford. It was fairly pleasant, and right across the road from the bus stop, which was convenient for going into town to meet my friends Max & Nic. We had dinner at <a href="http://www.quod.co.uk/">Quod</a>, and then Sara & I joined them next door for a few drinks, while Julie, Mom & Katie headed back to the rooms.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb