Welcome to Northumberland - and a surprise


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After leaving Melbourne Thursday night, with overnight stays in Sydney and Tokyo, we arrived at Newcastle airport lateish on Saturday night. Not mentioning 2 hours sitting on the tarmac at Heathrow waiting for the airport to recover from a deluge.

It is great to be back in the Northumberland countryside again, and staying with our friends Ian and Glenis Reid. And lovely that Ailie is at home too.

It had been Cathy's 65th birthday in-flight on Friday, but she had no idea that Glenis had a lovely surprise in store. On Sunday, 14 guests for a magnificent birthday lunch party. There was lots of champagne, wine and whisky, music, and of course Glenis' super cooking (not to mention Janey's "jubilee roulade" for dessert - a big hit!

Just fantastic to see so many friends all at once - a great start to our holiday. We finally called lunch over at about 8.00pm. And Cathy is delighted with her new deer antler handled walking stick, so skillfully handcrafted by Richard Hall.

Tomorrow is another day, and we are off for a short 2-day break to Ayr (home of Robbie Burns) and Glasgow in Scotland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th August 2012

Happy Birthday Cathy
Belated Happy 65th from both of us Cathy! Enjoy Scotland - one of my great grandfathers was a McDonald from Edinburgh - the family had a saddlery in Cowgatehead in Old Edinburgh. The building is still there. The lads were all saddlers then farmers in various parts of Victoria. They used to say the Robbie Birns grace for us in broad Scots accents: Some hae meat and cannae eat Some would eat that want it But we hae meat and we can eat Sae let the Lord be thankit And they knew all the verses. But as boys we liked: "Nae matter how ye shake y'r peg a wee drap aye runs doon y'r leg." But I can't be sure that's Robbie Burns. Looking forward to more adventures (and photos!)
30th August 2012

thanks
Nice to hear from you - enjoy Noosa!
29th August 2012

Sounds very enjoyable. Hope rest of holiday continues the same
29th August 2012

Looks like a good party!
Thanks for the update - you don't even look jet lagged. All good here.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb