Day 12 - Middleton-in-Teesdale to Langdon Beck (8 miles) - Hot sunny weather, fantastic refreshing waterfalls and a hotel in the middle of nowhere!


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 8 May - Our stay in Brunswick House had been excellent - a really old house full of antiques, and the breakfast had not only included a really good English breakfast (we're becoming real connoisseurs in English breakfasts - there's a huge difference between a good and a bad one, believe us) but there was also fresh fruit and yoghurt - a very welcome relief!

Thankfully, our walk today was only 8 miles. It turned out to be a fantastic day, strolling along the attractive River Tees in the sun. Steve had a dip in the water, which was cold but very refreshing on a day like today, and we saw a couple of the most impressive waterfalls in England. Steve beckoned Lavinia into the water, but not being a lover of 'cold' water Lav promptly declined. The first waterfall we came to, "Low Force" was good, but the second, "High Force" was really exceptional. Surprisingly it's not the highest or biggest waterfall in England, but its hard to imagine another more spectacular...instead it settles on its claim as the "highest unbroken fall of water in England"... You start to get a real feeling of vertigo if you linger too long, so after a few photos we moved on...

We eventually reached the Langdon Beck Hotel (a lot later than the 8 miles might have suggested - a sign of not just the attractions along the route but also of tired feet and limbs!).

Unfortunately the hotel turned out to be a real disappointment - the carpets had probably been fitted (and seemingly last cleaned) in the seventies, the bedrooms were "basic" and to top it all it was the most expensive place we've stayed at the whole route so far. We presume it relies on its remote location for business, which is a shame - but on the positive side it served as a reminder of how excellent the accommodation has been so far. (Photos to follow)

Only 122 miles to go!

If you would like to support us in our fundraising effort, please go to www.ectopic.org.uk/fundraising/?p=46. Thank you very much for your support and messages. Lavinia and Steve


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Clay sheep...The sign underneath says,...'A wonderful place to come for a walker'.Clay sheep...The sign underneath says,...'A wonderful place to come for a walker'.
Clay sheep...The sign underneath says,...'A wonderful place to come for a walker'.

This section of the River Tees between Low Force and High Force Waterfalls is absolutely delightful.
High Force Waterfall. Pennine Way, YorkshireHigh Force Waterfall. Pennine Way, Yorkshire
High Force Waterfall. Pennine Way, Yorkshire

High Force is the biggest waterfall in England. Even before High Force comes into view you can hear its thunderous noise - when it comes into view, it is nothing but spectacular.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb