The Grand old Duke of York...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Yorkshire Dales » York
September 25th 2016
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 53.9577, -1.08229

We left the beautiful Lake District and headed for York. On the way we stopped in Penrith to look around. We visited the Penrith Museum and headed out to Brougham Castle. It is just a ruins, but it was fun to look and explore around and up to the ramparts. Then on to York. We checked in at our B&B and had a little rest, then out to dinner at the Dormouse Pub. This morning we walked into old York, about a mile, and took a free 2 1/2 hour walking tour of the city. It was great. We walked past the Minster, which is the cathedral in York. Oh my goodness, it is the largest medieval gothic cathedral in Northern Europe. It is gigantic! It still has 128 stained glass windows from the 1200's. It took over 250 years to complete. The original building was of Roman origin and was started in 71AD. You can see some of the original foundations in the crypt of the newer church. We also visited the Treasurer's House. It is filled with period furniture from the 1600's. We walked around the old part of town and saw the Shambles, which is where the butchers all had shops. The street is very narrow to keep the meat that was hanging on hooks from spoiling in the sun. We started our walk at 9:30AM and returned to our B&B at 5:30PM., a long day! We took a little rest and headed out to a pub for a nice dinner. Tomorrow, we head to Leeds, which is about a half an hour away and a final round of laundry. Apparently some people are having trouble sending comments to us. For some reason, as long as you comment to a photo, it will go thru. I don't know why.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The bath in our B&BThe bath in our B&B
The bath in our B&B

The bathroom in this B&B is larger than our whole room in Keswick!
Statue of ConstantineStatue of Constantine
Statue of Constantine

The old lady wouldn't move out of my photo


26th September 2016

So interesting. Thanks for sharing with us who are not world travelers
26th September 2016

I so love the churches in Europe, they are all beautiful.
26th September 2016

Even more beautiful is the inside.
26th September 2016

Absolutely beautiful
28th September 2016

Great pictures Bob!
28th September 2016

Just a quiet little town with the ruins of a castle nearby...no big deal.
28th September 2016

Great picture..love the arches.
28th September 2016

Funny...the last picture was old school, this picture great remodel!
28th September 2016

We are watching Tudors on Netflix. Life of Henry VIII, and they just went to York. Very cool.
28th September 2016

Gorgeous!
28th September 2016

Wow! Light colored wood, ash? Not oak?
28th September 2016

How cool! Now we wouldn't do that today. How many hours before the click had to be "rewound"?

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb