Around the town in York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
September 18th 2017
Published: September 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Having looked at the weather forecast for the next couple of days, we decided that tomorrow would be the best day for exploring the surrounding area, so today was the day for the City of York. We had decided that we would visit the York Castle Museum, then the Clifford's Tower (which was right next to the museum). After breakfast we headed down to the Museum. The building had been used for a number of purposes over the years, including a prison, so was divided into sections covering the different aspects of the building, and also important periods of time in York itself. York has been associated with a number of confectionery businesses - Terry's, Rowntrees, and more- so there was a chocolate theme running through the displays too. In one section there is a cobbled street set up, allowing many different businesses and important industries of York to be displayed as they were in Victorian times. Another display gave an insight into the way WW1 affected different people in York. There was a lot to see, so it was nearly noon when we left the Museum to go to Clifford's tower. The tower is a remaining part of the castle, and has a great view over York. Then we walked back towards the minster, to the close around the town wall, to visit the Treasurer's house. This is a National Trust property and was given to them by the man who had engineered the house. He had put a number of houses into one, changing them so that he could display the things he had collected in what he felt was the proper setting. It is a very interesting house, and a real mixture of styles. It also has a beautiful garden. We stopped in the tearooms here to have lunch, before heading off to the National Railway Museum. This was a walk across the river for us, and we saw new parts of York on our way. The Museum was full of old and new trains, parts of trains, carriages, trucks, equipment for maintaining trains and more! There was even a demonstration of how to use a turntable! It was a full afternoon. During our walk in the morning, we had discovered an Italian restaurant called LittLe Italy. It looked and smelt good, so we took a chance and set off to have dinner there. Lunch was with us, and we enjoyed some beautiful antipasto and some crab and lobster ravioli. A delicious way to end the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The stonemasons yard at the minsterThe stonemasons yard at the minster
The stonemasons yard at the minster

One of the statues that the stonemasons are remaking to use in the Cathedral walls


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb