A Day of Romans and Vikings


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
June 8th 2013
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we drove from Edinburgh down to York with a couple of detours along the way. It was the first time the morning was actually cold. The car said it was about 9 degrees (which really is nothing), but it was driving through the fog in the Scottish Highlands that kept the concentration going. (unfortunately my side kick of a photographer didn't get the real fog we drove through!)

<br style="color:򢰪 font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;" />After a 2 hour drive, we made it to Hadrian's Wall in Corbridge, England. Hadrian's Wall was built by the Romans to stop the northern frontier invading their Empire. The boys liked looking at all the artefacts and listening to the walkie-talkie style audio guides as they climbed their way through Roman history.










After the wall, we drove to York and found the Jorvik Viking Centre in the heart of Copperstone Walk. Again it was full of archives and there you could walk on their dig that they dig as recently as 1979 to see what they unearthed. They had a great sit in a 'car' rotating interactive history lesson on how the vikings lived their lives, what they ate, their homes, their jobs, their clothes, etc. It was more about their everyday lives than their importance in English history. But it was all interesting putting their timeframe together... the Romans in 43AD to approx 410 AD while the Vikings were 793 AD to 1066 AD. It was interesting to see how advanced some of their technologies were. We left the middle of York and found our cute little B and B for the night... No 2 of my favourite places to stay so far. The lovely owner is so bubbly and gorgeous, you just want to bottle her up with her love for the place. There are farm animals on the property that the boys patted, and she was happy to lend them some sporting equipment to play with on the back field. But the cottage, Lavender Cottage, we are staying in is very sweet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb