Visitors from abroad


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
July 30th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It has been a difficult time of late in England with relentless rain falling, causing major flooding throughout the whole country. Leeds has been no exception, though we were very fortunate to have not suffered the major prolonged flooding (and the serious damage resulting from difficulties draining the water away) sustained by so many in our neighbouring regions. The street we live on flooded due to our close proximity to the canal in which the flowing river climbed ever higher, overflowing on several occasions. The ground floor and car park in our building were most affected but this did little damage as no one actually lives on this level of the building and the would-be commercial offices located there, are currently vacant. The river level eventually fell and our only real complaint can be the relentless rainfall over this period. For three weeks it rained constantly. By the end, everyone in Leeds was looking decidedly miserable.
Needless to say Adam and I were in desperate need then of some cheer and our sunshine arrived in the form of family from Sweden. Luke and Maria arrived just as the rain ceased its continuous flow. Having not been all together since we left Nykoping all those months ago, it was so wonderful to catch up. Apart from lazing about chatting and drinking and eating and all the usual stuff, we took the opportunity of having visitors as an excuse to head to York, something we’d been meaning to do for months. We spent a rainy Sunday morning in the old town exploring the sites. The sun was kind enough to put in an appearance in the afternoon and given it was Maria’s birthday that day, it was a welcome guest. We wined and dined that evening at an Italian restaurant in Leeds (one of very few that are open on Sunday nights!!!) and it was with great sadness I said my goodbyes to Luke and Maria both at bedtime that night. After sitting idle in Leeds for a few weeks, I’d accepted a paediatric post in Belfast, Northern Ireland. In doing so I’d transformed myself into a commuter of the highest order, jet setting countries to travel between Leeds and Belfast each week. So with a 5am departure the next day, it was farewells and goodnight wishes from me.
Our visitors stayed for a few more days and Adam had a great time having family around again. Apart from generally looking around Leeds and showing them both our life here, the highlight of the time was a Shakespeare performance at the Kirkstall Abbey-an old church in a suburb of Leeds famed for its beauty. ‘As you like it’ was on the billing and so they watched the bard’s tale unfold in an intimate theatre under the stars.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb