Day 11 (Across the border)


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
July 23rd 2006
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was even hotter in my room last night but with us being on a side street at least things were quiet enough to leave my windows open. I put my bulging suitcase and my bags of souvenirs in front of the window just in case somebody decided to come visit me by climbing up the scaffolding and through my giant window. I pretty much passed on breakfast. There wasn't much to chose from other than ce... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Roman ruinsThe Roman ruins
The Roman ruins

Normally this would've been extremely interesting to me but by now I was sweating worse than Pauly Shore in a comedy club. It was not only terribly hot but the humidity was just brutal. We hadn't had a chance to get a drink for hours so I was beginning to feel a little wobbly. I didn't hear much of our guide's explanation because I wandered off to find some shade and a seat. I did learn that those items at the bottom of the photo were indeed Roman coffins. York was about as far North as the Romans dared to settle. The Scottish tribes were too much to handle even for the mighty Roman legions. The Roman occupation and settlement of York barely lasted 100 years. But the ruins of where they built served as a foundation for future construction.
A stroll by the canalA stroll by the canal
A stroll by the canal

When the tour ended I had to quickly find myself a loo. While Gail was tied-up doing her usual motherly duty which was making sure everyone knew where we were to meet for the bus, I ran toward the canal park where I had spotted a welcoming W.C. With that deed accomplished, Gail, her mother and I seperated ourselves from the others and walked along the lush gardens bordering the Grand Canal.
How are these buildings still standing?How are these buildings still standing?
How are these buildings still standing?

As we walked through York we continued to pass plenty of half-timbered houses. This shoe store seemed about to collapse at the center but since it's been standing here for hundreds of years I guess there was no need for concern. I just wonder what fascinating stuff one might find up in those attics or beneath the floorboards.
Once more past the minsterOnce more past the minster
Once more past the minster

Our stroll around town eventually brought us back to the cathedral.
Mmmm....Giant chocolate muffinsMmmm....Giant chocolate muffins
Mmmm....Giant chocolate muffins

At 5 o'clock on a Sunday we didn't exactly find much shopping available. My slobber on the shop window reminded me it was almost dinner time.
Waiting for the busWaiting for the bus
Waiting for the bus

It was just too darn hot to run around looking at closed-up shops. I just wanted to get to the hotel and chug down a glass of luke warm water. We waited just outside the old city wall while Mark tried to negotiate the tricky one way streets back to where we were waiting.
My hotel roomMy hotel room
My hotel room

It was only a short bus ride to the hotel. We were right on the main street heading out of the old town. I got my single room and I was very happy with it. A little dated but a nice big room. And there was semi-cold water coming out of the sink.
DessertDessert
Dessert

The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. They put up with us banging our suitcases up and down the hallways, our requests for extra towels and the served us a great dinner. This evening we had a mini-buffet with lasagna, meatballs, curried chicken and/or some actual green vegetables. It was topped off with the choice of these three dessert offerings. When everyone else finished the waitress offered me seconds, then thirds.
Back in townBack in town
Back in town

Gail and I recovered our energy after that feast. Besides, I wanted to grab a big soda to quench my thirst. We initially only planned to head down the block to the local quickee mart, but we just kept walking until we ended up at this city gate.
At least the bar scene was lively on a Sunday nightAt least the bar scene was lively on a Sunday night
At least the bar scene was lively on a Sunday night

Our travels took us through the gate and into the old town. All along the Grand Canal we spied yuppie bars and restaurants that we had no interest in visiting. Actually, I could have been convinced to explore but by now our finances were in peril until we could find an ATM. Instead we found a very well-stocked liquor store where we bought two cans of beer which we would take back to our hotel and drink outside our rooms.
And once more by the minsterAnd once more by the minster
And once more by the minster

Sure enough, all roads in York seem to lead to the cathedral. Once again we ended up below her towering spires. Each time we had visited today it looked just a little bit different because of the setting sun.
Time to go backTime to go back
Time to go back

Even though the sun was still hanging high in the sky, it was well after 9:30. We walked back toward our hotel climbing over the old city wall. The walk back seemed much shorter than our walk into town, but by the time we got back I was dieing to down that can of Samuel Smith.



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb