A Little Fryup in the North York Moors


Advertisement
Published: January 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

DanbyDanbyDanby

Hillside above Danby, Eskdale
Danby is a great destination for anyone wondering where to go in the North York Moors. There is some great scenery and Danby is easily accessed on the Esk Valley railway running between Middlesbrough and Whitby.

This blog is from my home territory, Yorkshire, in the north of England. I thought I’d put in some of the more interesting trips I make before my next trip abroad. For some work I am doing, I have to get some pictures in the North York Moors National Park, so I took the opportunity of good weather to get the train up to the Moors, in north east Yorkshire.

However, with the bus running late, it looked as if we had missed our train in Leeds, so I got a ticket to Malton (a different destination). Then suddenly the electronic train information changed and our train to Middlesbrough was miraculously retimed by 4 minutes! So we dashed off to the train and the guard kindly adjusted our tickets to Danby, and made sure we knew our train times back to Leeds.

The weather was great, but I had problems with camera batteries, which is a bit annoying because even the back-up
Danby - pantiled roofs, detailDanby - pantiled roofs, detailDanby - pantiled roofs, detail

Photo taken by Kasia
set did not work. We strolled around the village of Danby before doing a circular walk via Little Fryup valley - a very dramatic part of the North York Moors.

It’s a fairly easy walk, and despite some pesky cloud and the camera shutting down due to weak batteries, I squeezed out a few shots. The late afternoon low sun was gave beautiful light, and the walk back from Danby Moors Centre was only spoilt by a noisy brat, whose family decide to follow us. We hadn’t much time, so we decided to shake them off, and deliberately miss a turning. It worked: the brat spotted the yellow footpath arrow, and noisily announced how we had gone wrong. We circled round the hillside and made our way to the pub for a quick half . We had just nice time for the train back, and our arrival at the station was with the company of the smug brat* - we climbed onto the other carriage of the train once it arrived!

*The family had raced to the station to spend a 15 chilly minutes waiting there, whilst we had a very enjoyable half in a warm
DanbyDanbyDanby

lane into the village
pub. Smug, me?




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Little FryupLittle Fryup
Little Fryup

The view across Little Fryup to Great Fryup.
Little FryupLittle Fryup
Little Fryup

Fields and moorland edge.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb