Iceland 2010 - Intro


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Harrogate
April 8th 2010
Published: April 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This is just going to be kept fairly short. I'm planning on, where possible, writing a travel blog on the various things that i come across on both the preparation towards my travels as well as the actual trip itself.

The idea for the trip came about as one of the other travelers I'm going along with suggested organizing a excursion that allowed for money to be raised for charity through completing a challenge. The challenge was decided that the trip would be completed by using bicycles to cover around 1000 miles worth of Icelandic terrain in just over 8 weeks. The 2 other buddies that are coming along with me on this trip are Tom (TC), who is a seasoned traveler and also Chris (Noddy). We are hoping to raise in total £1000 for:

- Shelter - a charity who believes everyone needs a home in a place where they can thrive.
- St Michaels Hospice - an organization that offers care to patients on various levels.
- The Scott Aitken Music Foundation - in memory of a close friend, set-up to provide funding for musical pursuits to disadvantaged students.

We have already booked our flights with Icelandair, flying from Manchester (MAN) to Keflavik (KEF) on 12/06/10 and returning 16/08/10, giving us 66 days in the land of ice, or in other words 1584 hours, 95,040 minutes & 5,702,400 seconds thanks to timeanddate.com. Also we have ordered the bikes we are going to be using alot along this trip, they are the Mongoose Crossway 350 with the expected date of delivery to be this weekend.

As of yet the proposed route is to mainly follow the "Route 1", the main roads that circles around the island. It is likely that we will start off by skirting the West of Iceland traveling North passing Reykjavik, heading for the Northern fjords. Then traveling East along the Northern part of Iceland visiting Akureyri, then starting to make the trip back to Reykjavik along the southern coast.

The developments of the itinerary will be posted up until the departure date.

ed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb