A mile too far in Norfolk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Norfolk » Blakeney
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Just back from a great weekend in the 'big sky' country of England; Norfolk. Scott, Adam, Myles and I headed off out of London early Saturday morning arriving at Kings Lynn around 9.30. We were soon heading towards the start of our walk, which was a section of the famous Peddlers Way / Norfolk Coast Path. Our kick off point was a standard British seaside town called Hunstanton. We jetted out of there pretty quickly. The first part of the walk was along and behind the sand dunes and past a bird sanctury. To our amusement there were a number of bird watchers around. Their equipment must cost a fortune. We then did a 'U' in land, which offered fanastic views back to the coast. We walked past huge fields of wheat which were a lovely yellow colour. Just as our energies levels were starting to fade we come across an excellent gastro pub. After re-fueling we caught the coastal hopper bus (thank goodness for the coastal hopper!) further a long the coast. To be honest we were all feeling rather weary; none of us had done any serious hiking for about 5mths. Arriving in the bustling town of Wells-next-the-Sea we saw a 'rock' shop i.e. lollies, so we did some more re-fueling before heading off on the final streach of the days walk. The final streach was along dunes and marshes and through long grass; the light was lovely and the birds singing happily. However the hiking crew were not so happy. Bilsters, extremely tired legs and Myles and I with extreme hay fever meant there was rather a lot of good humoured moaning going on. Really we were wondering why and how this hike was so hard given it was so flat?

We finally made Blakeney around 6.30pm and worked out we had in fact walked about 18miles. So not an insignificant distance. That evening we enjoyed another fanastic meal watching a red sky sunset. Given the serious blister situation, which did look like I had grown a sixth toe (!!), we couldn't do our planned hike. So we jumped back on the coastal hopper and headed down to Cromer, the end of the path. The coast line looked great with some good looking remote beaches. Cromer was a sweet seaside town with the expected amusement pier ever present. We headed back to London slightly early to enjoy the first heatwave of summer and found the park's and city buzzing. Another good weekend.

Photos






Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb