Southport- Richly ages like wine


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Southport
September 10th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Southport has the second longest pier in Britain. The longest one is at Southend on Sea. It was also a long time since I visited my uncle and so there I was catching a train from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street (Name itself gives you a pleasant zest for life). At Liverpool, I changed train to Merseyrail (nice name) to reach the little village of Ainsdale.

Ainsdale is designated as a national nature reserve for its miles and miles of sand dunes which have their unique flora of shrubs and grasses. One of the unique ones is called Helleborines.

I arrived on time to enjoy their kind hospitality. It was so lovely to meet my aunt who had not changed a bit from all the years I have known her. We drank tea with scones while my Uncle and Aunt enjoyed some Punjabi Samosas I had brought from London. We caught up with family news.

In late afternoon, we drove down to Ainsdale beach. It was low tide with vast stretches of sand and tides change quickly. I walked a bit. It was empty and with so much sand, I almost expected to see a camel!

I walked up the Southport pier. It was not busy. It had an old world feel of 'once upon a time', of a posh sea side resort where the genteel crowd came for holidays. Even now, the Lord street with its arcade shopping centre seemed to have inspired Champs de Lycee in Paris. There were a few gorgeous churches on the Lord Street. Many people from the Sports industry have their bungalows in Southport. This area is also flooded with golf courses. It is like how in nook and corner of every city in India, people play cricket.

For dinner, my uncle prepared a lovely dinner of meatball curry, fragrant rice, fish fry, homemade dal to be finished with chocolate cake and ice cream.

I observed many little similarities with my uncle. For example, how I extended the little side table to guests so that they can keep tea cup and their plates close to where they were seating and be comfortable. I observed how he asked direct questions and cut away meaningless small talk. He is well read in history and suggested that I specialise on my areas of interest. For example, instead of say I like history, say specialise in Greek history. Excellent point!

The next morning, my uncle prepared a delicious breakfast of toast and egg- sunny side up and tea. I did a morning walk in the quaint little village of Ainsdale and explored the sand dunes a bit more too.

We sat at the dining table and chatted on current affairs- India- UK relationship, family, history of spinal cord surgery in UK among others. Finally, it was a wonderful Sunday lunch at Garden Center called Sooty's. I ate a small roast chicken and vegetables followed by coffee cake and ice cream

My uncle bought some pink gloves with special tips with which I could use my cell phone even while wearing gloves. I was delighted to have them.

My delightful stay was over. I took train back to Liverpool and waited for my London train at the first class lounge of Liverpool Lime street. A little Chinese girl was entertaining her mother with questions and it was lovely to observe the natural curiosity of children.

It was great to meet family members. Southport, a fine seaside resort too with time, gains in age and maturity like the finest old wines of the world and rich, personal experiences with old relatives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb