THE OPEN 2014 AT ROYAL LIVERPOOL IN HOYLAKE


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Liverpool
July 20th 2014
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

THE OPEN 2014 AT ROYAL LIVERPOOL IN HOYLAKE

My colleague and I, we have come for The Open 2014;and we are contentedly ensconced in our 23rd floor apartment, looking out, floor to ceiling windows, at both the languid Mersey River and the varied Liverpool skyscape; breathtaking. The range of architecture is quite engaging, classical to modern, featuring: domes and globes; a Ferris wheel in still form by day, seats unmoving, that emerges as a star in the evening; two Liverpool themed Liver-birds, be-decking impressive towers with huge working clocks of Roman numerals; a striking, shining, sky-reaching edifice, sister to our address, two panelled walls standing as gentle arcs, topped with building-wide steps sloping, reaching for the drifting clouds; two cathedrals, one, the Church of Rome, the other, of England; and a Habitat 67-Style building, featuring huge concrete blocks, each an apartment . All of this inspires me, as I perform Lazy Push-ups on the floor of my en-suite, above which I have seen no birds fly, as they float and flutter in the calm of the morning at five.

The people of this Region, Liverpool, Manchester and Hoylake where The Open is taking place, are quite kind and thoughtful, including our host, who has gone to all sorts of lengths to make us feel welcome. To wit, clear and guest friendly directions have made it easy to find restaurants of diverse dining tastes,client friendly stores for belts and breakfast essentials like porridge and Eccles cakes; in addition to instructions to the Village in Liverpool where the Fab-Four began their musical journey.There was the lady from Liverpool on the flight to Manchester, who, by word and by deed, provided a fair sense of how welcoming people would be; then, there were the airport attendants, who got me off the plane, through the arrivals maze, and over to the bus company; whose ticket agent kindly shepherded me directly on to a second departing coach, after I had managed to miss my scheduled designated departure, delivering me into the hands of a fellow traveller, who kindly buckled me up, when I seemed to be fumbling the exercise, as the bus was quickly leaving the station at Manchester bound for Liverpool. And, there are the train attendants in Liverpool, who are guiding us each day to the correct departure point, all the while chatting amiably. In all of this, the true gem encounter of the journey, to date, was an afternoon in the soothing comfort of two dear friends from an earlier time in my cottage life...

Meantime, we have sampled the robust English Food: first, a breakfast fry-up of pudding with sausages, stewed tomatoes and eggs; then, fish and chips, what more can I say? ; also, potato & onion pie, with green peas and a curry sauce, ever so British; and steak & kidney, need I say more? .

The Open is on, at the Links of Royal Liverpool in Hoylake, a number of stone throws from the Irish Sea, with seven sons from Ireland among those competing; the youngest of whom is leading the way as I write at close on Saturday.



In the spirit of Golf during The Open in Britain, as we set out for the Links on Thursday morn, I made my way to our neighbourhood Betting Shop and laid down a wager on my favourite player to win and/ or place, at 50-to-1. Alas, as I write three days into the tournament, not all hope is gone, but it is gently fading.

We approach the pretty little town of Hoylake, from Liverpool by train, first, under the Mersey. Then, along the way, a mural of red brick houses flash by parallel to the rails, some homes capped with shingles, others with roofing tiles; English Greens, ever present, mark small towns as we roll on; there are catchy graffiti portraits on bridges receding; and always, through-out the trip, adorning the way, are bushes in clusters, grasses drooping, little leaved trees, lilies in the fields and placid ponds almost hidden behind climbing vines; each playing its part in the colour array of varying shades of green, delicate pinks, soothing yellows, bright whites, bold purples and deep mauves; all appealing.

Our seats at Royal Liverpool are outstanding, three rows up from the 18th Green, pin- high to all pin placements to-date, in close proximity to the 1st Tee, the 2nd Fairway & Green, the 3rd and 4th Tees, Fairways and Greens; in addition we have access to a near-by Pavilion & a Club for meals, rest and relaxation.

This is, after all, The Open; as splendid a Golf Event as one is ever likely to experience and enjoy. Royal Liverpool is a bear of a set of Links, where all of the tee shots I have seen needed shaping, where none of the greens I have stood or sat before know anything about forgiveness and where the sand traps are a form of gentle torture. Its topography is of rugged and sombre beauty.

Staying on a level-minded plane in all of this, I have also spent some time with the people and pastor of a community church that is doing really good and meaningful work in the Word, in Hoylake; and met with an inspired young artist, together with other young people on the church grounds, who served me a Mushroom and Goat Cheese Sandwich for lunch one day, their way of participating in the Wonderful Week that is The Open in Hoylake.

Be Fine All

V. Ernest Ainsley

19.07.14

.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb