Poland - Prague - Berlin - Amsterdam - Brugge- London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
April 2nd 2011
Published: April 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

ViennaViennaVienna

Hapsburg Summer Palace
Good evening,

So the tour is now offically over. Im back in London, waiting for my washing to finish so that I can have an early night. The tour was fantastic, saw some amazing places and met some really nice people. However I am glad it is over. Im exhausted. Plus I finally caught the tour clod yesterday, so am feeling a little off today. Hopefully I can go to a chemist tomorrow to get some drugs!

So I believe I finished my last entry in Budapest (that feels like a lifetime ago). We left Budapest (25.3) at 7.30am and was meant to arrive in Krakow, Poland early afternoon. However an hour into the drive we were stopped by police. A truck had overturned and there was going to be a 5 hour delay. So we turned around and took the back streets to get back onto the highway. we passed through Slovakia and stopped at a petrol station for lunch. Just after lunch we were once again stopped by police telling us another truck had overturned and there was going to be another 5 or 6 hour delay. So once again we turned around and took the back
ViennaViennaVienna

Classical Concert
streets. Now the back streets in Slovakia are not meant for buses, but we finally made it through by some brilliant driving by Johan. We finally made it to Krakow at 8pm. The time on the bus went fast as we watched Schindlers List (if you have never seen this, rent it out.) Great movie regarding WWII and the concentration camps. Also good news it goes for about 5 hours!

Krakow is a small Polish town that was devestated during WWII. Before the war over 1 million Jews lived in the area. Only 4000 live there now.

As we arrived later than expected the day before, we went on our walking tour in the morning. the city is really small but lovely. After the walking tour a small group of us went to the Salt mines just outside the city centre. The mine has 7 levels below the ground. We only went down 3 levels which was 139 metres below (800 stairs and 2.5km). The mines is not active today, as it is too expensive to mine the salt. Through out the mine there are sculptures created by the miners. They also constructed churches throughout the mine where
ViennaViennaVienna

Hapsburg Winter Palace
people go to get married today. There is also a giant lake that runs through the mine. Everything in the mine is obviously made out of salt, although to look at it you would think it was marble. There is an area where you can lick the wall, however as they have over 1 million visitors a year I passed on this.

After the tour (which lasted 3 hours) we made our way back into Krakow. When we first went into the mines, the weather was cold and overcast but ok. When we came out of the minds it was drizzling. When we made it back into the centre it was snowing! The temperature dropped dramatically and it was freezing. We were dropped back at the old Castle which overlooks the city. Krakow used to be the capital of Poland before Warsaw. Due to the snow we decided not to look at the sights but rather go and find a warm cafe for lunch. Due to this decision and the fact I didnt want to go back outside I didnt actually get any photos of the city.

I had Perogi for lunch which was amazing. It is little
ViennaViennaVienna

Hapsburg Summer Palace
dumplings filled with potato. I also had cheese and onion in mine and topped them with sour cream. I have never tasted something so nice in my life. After lunch we did brave the weather to go and do a little bit of shopping. This didnt last that long cause of the snow, so we went to a pub and tried the local vodka! Firstly I had grass vodka with apple juice. Fantastic! then it was cherry vodka with lemonade. Also fantastic.

Went and had traditional Polish food for dinner after the vodka tasting. I had beet Bosch soup followed by potato pancakes. Overall opinion is that Polish food is amazing!

Left Krakow (27.3) at 7.00am - was awake at 5.30am, breakfast at 6.30am.

Had an hours drive to Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II - Birkenau. The two main concentration camps used during WWII. I wont go into too much detail, only to give you the basic information about the camps. We had a Polish tour guide take us through both camps. Auschwitz I was mainly used as a concentration camp, where the prisoners were made to work in the factories outside the camps to produce materials
BudapestBudapestBudapest

Pest side
for the German Army. It did however have one gas chamber and crematorium. You were able to walk through 4 of the original buildings, 3 have been made into museums, whilst the 4th is original inside and out. The majority of the people sent to Auschwitz were Jewish (1.1 million), however there were other prisoners of war housed here.

The Jewish people were transported believing they were going to a new place to live. They brought with them 25 kgs of luggage, which included pots and pans, and other kitchen utensiles. All of these possessions were taken from them when they first arrived to the camps. In the first 3 buildings you can view these belongings.

When the prisoners first arrived at Auschwitz I they were put through a selection process. Those fit enough to work in the factories were taken inside the camps. Those unable to work in the factories (elderly, children, women, disabled) were taken directly to the gas chambers. You can actually walk through the gas chamber.

Auschwitz II was actually built during WWII by the prisoners. This was purely used as a death camp. Just before the liberation the Germans bombed this camp
BudapestBudapestBudapest

Attempting Archery
to hide the evidence of what they had done. Today it is an international memorial for those who lost thier lives in concentration camps. There is a sign in the memorial section which says
'For ever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity where the Nazi murdered about 1 and a half million, men, women and children, mainly Jews deom Various countries of Europe. 1940 1944'.

I am glad I went to the concentration camps, and the experience will be with me forever.


After we left Auschiwtz we continues our drive through to Prague in the Czech Republic. Had tea at a local restaurant and them went on a night walking tour. Prague at night is beautiful.

After the walking tour a group of us went on a pub crawl. The first pub made thier own vodka. Had a red skittle and lemonade. Next pub was more like a night club except without the entrance fee. Third place was the largest night club in Europe. It was on 5 levels, each having its own theme. Didnt make it back to the hostel until 4am, so had been awake for 23
BudapestBudapestBudapest

After 3 attempts
hours straight!

Was up at 8.00am (28.3) and slowly made my way into town by 10.30. Walked up to the castle which had fantastic views of the city. Prague is a very Gothic city, so all the buildings and churches are gothic style (ill put pictures up to explain).

The castle is actually the oldest in Europe, however it has been builty up over decades, so it actually doesnt look that old. After wondering around the castle and through the old church located in the middle, I walked along Charles Bridge to a large market. Had tea at the hostel that night and was early to bed (well 11pm but thats early for this trip!).

Next morning we were off to Germany (29.3). The drive from Prague to Berlin was about 6 hours, however we stopped at the small town of Dresden. Dresden is famous because near the end of WWII the Allies bombed the entire town setting it completely on fire. The reason for this was later revealed as that they simply didnt want the Russians to claim it. The only people in the town were women, children and the elderly.

The have rebuilt Dresden with some of the original bricks. You can tell this because they are completely black.

Once we arrived in Berlin, we went straight into a driving tour of the city. The first stop was a memorial cite for the Russiams, and how they saved Germany from the Nazis. There was a massive statue of a Russian soldier holding a German child while standing on the Nazi flag. Very impressive.

Second stop was at the remains of the Berlin wall. The original wall has pretty much fallen down now. However there is one section where they have rebuilt the wall and got the original artistis to repaint it.

As for building of importance in Berlin, there isnt really anything to see. There is the Reich (parlament) building and some old churches. Otherwise everything has been destroyed either during WWII or after. Obviously Berlin was bombed alot during the war. It is believed that if you conquer the Capital of a country, you then have control over the whole country. After the war, every building that was associated with Hitler and the Nazi party was destroyed.

Because the wall only fell in 1990 Berlin is still rebuilding today.
PraguePraguePrague

Begining of the night


As expected there are a lot of memorial cites all through the city, which pay tribute to all effected groups during the war. The most striking is the Jewish memorial, where they have built concrete blocks of all shapes and sizes in a maze. This is meant to represent disorientation, just like what the Jews would have experienced at the concentration camps. The only problem with this memorial, is that the paint used on the blocks to prevent grafetti, comes from a sister company from the one who supplied the gas to the concentration camps. Everyone who was invloved in the process knew this, however in thier defence they say they chose this company because it was the cheapest.......

There are a lot of museums about WWI and WWII plus communism which I would have loved to have visited, but there wasn't much time and to be honest I was a little historied out. It is certainly one place which I would love to visit again and spend more time there.

After the driving tour went back to the hostel for tea. Stayed at the hostel that night drinking at the bar upstairs and playing pool (won 3 games lost 1).

Next morning (30.3) went on a 3rd Reich walking tour. Tour guide was a local and very passionate. She took us to the important landmarks, which are now nothing but empty space. She had photos taken during the war to show us what Berlin used to look like. Hitlers old bunker and home is now a carpark.

There are no signs are any mention of Hitler or the Nazi party shown in public. You can only find them in the nuseums. It is actually illegal to do the Nazi salute, or demonstrate any support to the Nazi party.

After the walking tour, a small group of us went to this massive chocolate shop for lunch. Wanted a bit of light relief in the afternoon so went to the Berlin Zoo. I was able to watch the Lions and Panda being fed which was great. Had a nice chilled afternoon wondering around. I did skip the Australian section!!

After dinner went on a organised pub crawl through Berlin. Had 2 free shots in each bar. Went to 3 bars and 1 night club. Grabbed a kebab on the way back to the hostel. Had 3 1/2 hours sleep that night before getting up the next morning.

Up at 6am and left Berlin at 7.30am. 9 hour drive to Amsterdam.

Arrived at Amsterdam at 5.00pm. First stop a cheese and clog farm. Was gived a demonstration on how to make cheese and how to produce clogs.

Hostel was in the heart of the city. Rooms were small. Bathroom smells funky. Toilet had no lid. Bunkbeds really high and no ladder and rails. Oh and staff really rude.

Now I experienced some parts of Amsterdam culture but not all.......

Went on a quick walking tour through the main shopping area. Amsterdam is link Venice as it is built on canals. Walked through the red light district on the way to our option for tonight.......a sex show! Only one act was actually a couple having sex (you legally have to be married to have sex on stage) the other acts were girls doing stuff..... It was a bit of a laugh.

Had a free bike tour the next morning (1.4). Went for 1 1/2 hours and took in most of the city. Rode past the smallest house which is 1
PraguePraguePrague

Flash didnt work!! There is a castle behind me
meter wide and 4 meter long. All the houses are starting to sink. This is because they are built with wooden beams, which are starting to rot due to flooding. All houses also have a blank on the roof which has a hook on it. this is how they lift the furniture up into the rooms. because of the sinking problem most houses are leaning forward and look like they may fall over.

After the bike tour, I went for a tour through Anne Franks House. For those who have never heard of Anne Frank, she was a girl (aged 12) who was in hiding with her family during WWII. they lived in the Attic of her father work building with 4 other people. They lived there for 3 years. It was never discovered who, but the group was betrayed to the SS army and were all sent to concentration camps. Anne died one month before the liberation.

Only her father survived the camps, and when he returned to the Attic it was discovered that Anne had kept a diary about her time in hiding. Her father had this diary published and it was later turned into a
PraguePraguePrague

A little later in the night
film. Steven Spielberg donated the money he made from Schindlers List to developing the house and the building next door into a museum.

After visiting the house we attempted to make our way back to the hstel. Abby and I were looking at the map upside down and after an hour qw had somehow managed to walk in a complete circle! Finally made it back to the hostel. I collected all the gifts I had purchased on the trip and posted them home (5 1/2 kgs!!).

Abby and I went for a power shop before tea. Tried on every pair of shoes in Amsterdam before deciding against them all. Ran back to the hostel, got ready in 15 mins then made our way to tea. Once again got lost on our way, but eventually made it.

We had tea on a floating Chinese Restaurant. When they first built the restaurant they calculated the weight of all the furniture and food ect to make sure the restaurant could float. However they left one important fact out. On the grand opening people filling the restaurant and it sank!! So they rebuilt it this time taking in the fact that
PraguePraguePrague

nearing the end
people would be sitting on it!

Lovely meal, buffet style with veggies. Something none of us had seen in 24 days!

Went on a farewell river cruise through the canals. Unlimited alcohol on board. Cruise went for an hour and half. After cruise went to a pub for more drinks. Was home at midnight which was a good effort.

And that brings us to today! Up nice and early (something new) and left Amsterdam at 7.30am. WE stopped in at Brugge in Belgium for lunch before making our way back to Calais and onto the ferry back to London. Slept the majority of the day.

Sorry this entry has been so long. I have seen so much and done so much since my last entry.

Tomorrow I am off to Scotland where I am meeting up with a friend. We are then driving her car to Stranare where we will stay the night. Next morning we are taking the ferry across to Belfast where we start our rode trip through Ireland. Im not sure if I will be able to use the internet in the 2 weeks Im in Ireland, so if i cant I
PraguePraguePrague

During the day
will update you on my travels from Fiona's house in Edinburgh.

Right im off to bed. Whilst writing this entry I have washed and dryed my clothes. I have repacked my bag and had tea. I was going to upload photos, but if it takes too long ill do that from Scotland.

Bye for now.

B


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

PraguePrague
Prague

Gothic Church
KrakowKrakow
Krakow

Salt Mines - Group photo
KrakowKrakow
Krakow

Salt Mines
KrakowKrakow
Krakow

Salt Mines
BerlinBerlin
Berlin

Russian Memorial


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb