Back in the Mother Land


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Margate
July 29th 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes, unfortunately for us, our 6 week trip around Europe is over, and we are back in the UK at Rachel's mums (obviously I am not writing this in real time). Although 6 weeks in the normal world seems to fly past, by the time we got back we had felt like we had been away for much longer, and of course it seems like an eternity since we left Australia, although that was only really 2 weeks before the start of the trip. This is a good sign that we enjoyed ourselves and really did get to experience many, many different things while travelling.

Some of you have sent messages to us about how relaxed we look (thanks for the messages) and it's true, we do really feel like we have had a great holiday, although anyone who has travelled for an extended period of time will agree that it comes with its own pressures, (sure, not ones that you really complain about - especially not to those people reading this back at home going to work every day). However, we did begin describing our time in Europe as a 'trip' rather than a 'holiday' (have concluded that at
BBQ at Rachels DadsBBQ at Rachels DadsBBQ at Rachels Dads

Rachels Dad, Sharon, and Vanessa (Rachels sister)
35 and 37 we are definitely too old for extended 'tenting', will take the campervan option next time!). We feel very grateful for the time off and the chance to experience another part of the world, different cultures, amazing history and fantastic scenery.

So in that six weeks we travelled about 4,000 miles or 6,500 km's and spent about 110 hours actually driving. We changed countries 17 times in our zig zag route across Europe and only had to show our passport at a few of these. Most of the borders were merely a sign on the side of the road. We spent 41 nights away in total, made up of 27 nights camping in the tent, 10 nights at Vicki's in Munich, 3 nights in hotels, and 1 night in the car due to the storm in Lucerne.

We lost count of how many snacks and drinks we had but other than 'the fly' (see Prague) we enjoyed every single one of them (actually the fly was also fine until the last mouthful). We have drunk more wine and beer, and eaten more meat in 6 weeks than we would normally do in a year (but that's what holidays are for right - especially when you feel obliged to sample the local flavour).

Here are a few of our favourite things along the way;

Favourite City - Munich
Favourite Place - Interlaken Switzerland
Favourite Scenery - Salzkammergut Lakes Austria
Favourite Country - Rachel Austria, Simon Switzerland
Favourite Snack - Currywurst and frites, delicious in the currywurst sauce but mayo was also a favourite
Favourite Meal - Snitzel style steak created by the owner of the Lorely (The Rhine, Germany) campsite - the snitzel coating included garlic and jalepenos and the steak was so tender.
Favourite Drink - Leffe beer (Simon) and Rachel got stuck into the Rose, but also loved the German Reislings.
Campsites - Best Facilities - Brussels
Campsites - Friendliest - Lorely (The Rhine)
Campsite - Nicest Setting - Split between La Roche en Ardenne in Luxemburg and Lausanne in Switzerland (lakeside setting)

We are now about to start our hunt for a place to live in London, find jobs and enjoy another few weeks of the English Summer!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 94; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb