Stour Valley Walk - Wye to Hothfield


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Canterbury
March 24th 2009
Published: March 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

WyeWyeWye

more striding from Emma
Got the train to meet Emma in Wye on friday. Stayed in the King's Head - ok, nothing spectacular but the cheapest we could find in Wye. Wye is pretty but a bit dull. Got an early start for the 10 miles ahead of us, the longest stretch we've managed yet. Across fields, over fairly flat, open country as the valley broadens out, Ashford office blocks visible in the distance. Swans feeding in the fields. The river now barely 5m wide. Into Ashford and a stop for lunch in a greasy spoon. Rubbish coffee. Out of town through a park with an incongruous orange fountain depicting classical and oriental figures. Looks odd with the railway station behind it. Relieved when Ashford fades away, as we pass through another marsh, parkland, and cross the railway line again. We stop near Godinton mansion to talk to 2 guys working as conservation volunteers on the river, improving the flow to clear silt and encourage trout further down-river. Through the grounds of a school that used to be Swinford Manor. The final section is a long loop west then north east and follows a muddy 'green way' for part of its length. Feet not feeling too bad by the end - think we're getting used to this walking thing. The photos look even worse than usual - sorry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

someone's housesomeone's house
someone's house

possibly Bucksford Manor


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb