Cowes Sailing Regatta


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Isle of Wight » Cowes
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yours TrulyYours TrulyYours Truly

It's hard to look happier than this!
This is now becoming a bit ridiculous. Every time this summer that I have had an event planned, I wake up to lousy weather. And today, that was no mean feat. The alarm went off at 6.00, so I was at least hoping for the sun. But no, overcast and actually raining. Putting my faith in Poseidon, I donned a bathing suit, a skirt and a golf shirt for the better weather that I knew would eventually come along. Oh yeah, I put a fleece over it all.

At 7.30, nine of us all met at the pub (stop it, it was just an easy place to meet) to climb on our coach for the journey down to the sea. The journey was fraught as our driver didn't have the directions, a map or SatNav, but thanks to tenUK, we got there in the end. Paddy, bless him, had brought breakfast, so we all ate and managed to convince ourselves that we were driving into the sunshine.

At 10.30, we embarked on our boat for the day called 'Hush'. What a day! The sun went in and out, but it never actually rained so we were able to stay
On the BridgeOn the BridgeOn the Bridge

Jeremy and Jason with the captain. A really interesting guy who not only sails, but does lighting for the theatre as well.
outside for the day. We basically just followed the races, and yearned for the chance to be on one of those beautiful boats. We ate and drank a fair amount, but kept it in check as none of us fancied a rescue. I'm going to let the photos tell you how beautiful a day it was.

Today was really my dream day. On a boat, surrounded by good friends and loads of sailboats and a glass of wine in my hand. It really doesn't get much better than that.

We arrived back into town in time for drinks and dinner, but we kept it low key as we all looked as though we had just gotten off a boat! Not really dressed for a Saturday night in town.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Best of the BestThe Best of the Best
The Best of the Best

I got to sail in a tall ship about five years ago. They really are the most beautiful of vessels.
ClippersClippers
Clippers

These are the boats that are just back from the around the world race. This has been on my to do list for years. I was so excited to see the boats -- not to mention inspired.
ClippersClippers
Clippers

Another shot -- just because I love them.
At the WheelAt the Wheel
At the Wheel

Sabi's turn.
At the WheelAt the Wheel
At the Wheel

My turn.
The NeedlesThe Needles
The Needles

One of the landmarks for the Isle of Wight.
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Paddy and Rachel
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Michael
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Rachel
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Jeremy
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Michael and Tori
Swimming off the BackSwimming off the Back
Swimming off the Back

It was a bit chilly for the girls.
RacingRacing
Racing

The boats coming towards us, their spinnakers flying.
RacingRacing
Racing

Right in the middle of it all.
RacingRacing
Racing

These were some of the smaller boats.


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb