Ticket'ies


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Berkhamsted
April 14th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Its time to write another entry and this time it is really a big one!

Just to update you on where we are with the 'Travel Plans' at the moment....

In our first entry (20th April 2008) we said that the plan was to set off for Africa in February 2009 and travel for 12 months across 6 continents. Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to postpone the trip to a later date and we didn't really know when that was going to be. We always wanted to go but things became a bit difficult for different reasons. One day around Jan/Feb time Zuzana told me in the car that if things work out well, we would be able to go traveling in September time. So we set ourselves a new target - Traveling in September 2009. The bigger plan was to save at least the £10k to take us around the world and also some extra £K's for when we come back and to have, just incase, while we are away. In order to do that we would be saving until the end of August so that was our target. Save as much as we could, spend as little as we could and get as prepared as much as we could before we left. We realise that nothing can prepare us for what we're actually going to spend and what we are going to do, but we can try our best get as ready as we possibly can.

So we started to look into the massive task again and into more detail of how to traverse the globe and to learn about this planet we were going to explore. We had done a lot of reading and research and by this stage we had etched out our destinations into a tablet of granite. With this new goal set in stone, we were really motivated to bury our heads back into those guide books and maps - we love them. To make things more real, as demonstrated by our previous post, we decided to make some purchases... Travel Hair Straighteners, a Multi Gym, PC with games etc... Plus boots, and ruckacks. Also with all these uplifting thoughts and plans comes the darker side of spending more money on 'JABS' and of course Insurance (which we pray we wont have to use, unless I die, come back to life and am able to spend that chunky £20,000) and Visas. We knew that the Visas would cost a little bit but were still coming to terms with the physical and logistical planning that comes with obtaining visas. To begin with the Slovaks visas will work out to be a little more expensive and a little more troublesome than mine - the Westerner. We need to visit Embassies, write to the Consulates and go and visit the various Royal Houses available to us in the UK. What you also have to take into account is that some countries will grant a visa on that day valid from day of issue. We'll keep you updated as and when we work out the best way to do it then we'll let you know, or maybe keep the idea and come up with some sort of income generating scheme! With regards to jabs, we were advised to visit here: http://www.1stcontact.com/live/index.php?Item_ID=5164 a good site. We now have all the info we need to contact our GPs and get some serious needle action. I just hope it's not all buttocks!

So this leads us up to the most important purchase (in our opinion).... The Ticket'ies! Zuzana was really good at getting the ball rolling. She booked herself an appointment with STA Travel for Friday (Good Friday... which has now changed officially to Great Friday). To have a reason to make the trip into London worth while and to make vital price comparisons we wanted to visit more than one agency and get several quotes. On the Thursday, she went to see TrailFinders, just across the road from her work. The agent explained the various types of tickets (Star Alliance, One World and Travel Explorer) with differences on mileage (26000, 29000, 32000, 39000) and the amount of continents we would travel through. But because our itinerary was so big, we would have to pay the top price. He advised that maybe the way to do it is doing two separate trips - Africa first, return to the UK and then do the RTW ticket. He was really helpful and really new his stuff and was able to give some great tips on how to go round the world on a shoestring. We were definately visiting them on Friday but with the knowledge that the agent would be off, not to worry, customer service is the same across the board... isn't it?

So Friday came and the alarm goes off at some silly hour (8:00) for a Bank Holiday. Up we get, full of beans and vigor. Actually, I don't think I've ever got up so willingly on a Bank Holiday. Quick breakfast, shower and then off into London.

First stop, Angel Islington - Global Village. Even though they were shut to the public, we stood outside the door as we saw a wee chappy (who was taller than me) sat at his desk looking like scratching his ass was a great idea. Rather spiffingly, he came to the door, probably to let us know that we couldn't sleep here. We smiled politely and told him we'd travelled half way round the world to get here (oh the irony) and would love to have a chat. After he'd cleaned the cobwebs away from himself, he let us in. He was a nice chap, pleasant but a little bit reluctant to be as happy, as we were, visiting him. He needed some pushing. Eventually after Zuzana had checked his wires and replaced his dwindling battery, he came good. We spoke about our intentions of traveling around the world and we exchanged ideas and thoughts. He gave us several quotes and different routes to be able to conquer our dream trip. In all honesty the price he came up with was reasonable but we still had two more agencies to see, so who knows, maybe a better deal? We thanked him, used his toilet, filled up our water bottle and stole a handful of pens, a keyboard, his glasses and we ran out the door. Next stop, TrailFinders - TAKE 2.

Canary Wharf, South Colonnade. I was impressed with the general feel of the agency. The office was well decorated and it really seemed to be buzzing. Phone calls all over the place, smiles on faces and deals being made. Then there was our guy - he was sat at a desk overlooked by a storm cloud of the most boring grey colour you can think of. He pipes up, "can I help you?". Now on reflection, we should have replied' "I really don't think you can", but we're excited, high as kites. No-one's gonna bring us down! We walk up to him; "this could be it Darling, this could be it!!" We sit down and explain that we're heading on the trip of our lives, something that only a few people can dream. Now you know that noise that Plumbers, Builders and Mechanics make when some work that needs doing is going to be expensive? He was that noise! This guy was the excitement Vampire.. He sucked the life and soul out of our ideas and dreams.. He convinced us that we were taking a massive trip and that cutting back is the way forward. His final suggestion was a weekend in Wales. That's how much our 29000mile trip had been reduced to. Let me describe this guy. 5'8" even though he was sitting down, about 40 something (45) and quite a large chap... Quite large! Face like a moon! We were asking him about his travels and one of his destinations was South America, Peru. He asked us if we wanted to walk the Inca Trail and Machu Pichu. We said of course and he then went on to tell us that we'll need to get tickets well in advance - we knew this - he then looked at us both, up and down, and said "Oh but you'd need to be pretty fit though". This was when the clouds really moved over and Zuzanas glasses had reached the table and were no longer on her nose.... There's trouble coming. So we wrapped it up before she wrapped him up and sent him to No.64 Stone Way, Machu Pichu. We leave - withdrawn and tearful.

We then had a packed lunch (savey savey) and some tea to pick ourselves up again. She had high hopes as the previous chap in TrialFinders was great. Oh well, third time lucky maybe.

3 o'clock, appointment with STA. We arrive and take a seat, and some Easter chocolate eggs that we assumed we could eat. We ate them to rid ourselves of any evidence. "Have you booked an appointment?" shouts a blonde Australian behind a computer. "David and Zuzana?" we reply. We get seated and bang, she's straight into it. The first thing she recommended was to separate Africa from our RTW ticket (this idea had been mentioned by TrailFinders (the good guy)). The idea is to travel to Niarobi then overland to Cape Town and then back to London. Brilliant, a great start, we now have two trips with a home visit to do our washing etc, stay for a few days and off to India. India - Singapore - Australia - New Zealand - South America - Home. This means we would travel for 15mths in total. The price seemed much better that we expected also. Altogether, including taxes for both trips..... £2000. Unbelievable! We spent about 2hrs chatting and plotting. They were closing so she said we could rebook for Monday at 1pm. Zuzana looked at me with those eyes of hers and I made a decision on the spot, yep, were coming back on Monday. The weekend went by quickly and we remained excited. Could Monday be the actual day???

Monday - London at 10am. When Zuzana visited TrailFinders (the good guy) he said that he would be in on the Monday. To make sure we were making the right decision at the right price we wanted to pop in and see him. Could he better the deal from STA? He was a really nice guy and I understood why Zuzana had been so positive about him. We mentioned that we had been seeing someone else behind his back and he took it well. He understood the Africa trip as a separate part to the RTW but sadly he was unable to match the price. We thanked him and walked away knowing that we had done the right thing by getting one more opinion.

1PM - STA, again. Nici was pleased to see us. We went through the entire itinerary. She came up with the idea of a transit flight to Kenya to make it cheaper for us, she was really trying to get us the best deal. We covered the plans and ideas from last time and this seemed to be the best offer from all of the agencies. It suited us perfectly. Captured all that we wanted to achieve and see and was the cheapest.

We made the decision and bought the tickets. So Ladies and Gentlemen (drumrole) I bring to you...

OUR ITINERARY

12 Sep 09 London - Dubai
13 Sep 09 Dubai - Nairobi

Overland to Cape Town

22 Nov 09 Cape Town - Dubai
23 Nov 09 Dubai - London

Home for washing and some soft sheets

30 Nov 09 London - Delhi
2mths in India traveling through Goa (Christmas & New Year 2009/2010) Mumbai - Delhi

29 Jan 10 Delhi - Singapore
4mths Overland to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China and Laos back to Singapore through Phuket

23 May 10 Singapore - Perth
Overland on South Pacific Express to Sydney (4days with mini stops) to Melbourne

25 Jun 10 Melbourne - Christchurch
Overland to Auckland

16 Jul 10 Auckland - Santiago
4mths Overland through Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica (with some internal flights) and Mexico.

26 Nov 10 Mexico - London
Overland to somewhere - traveling forever

All in all a monstrous 15mths around the world. Phileas Fogg eat your heart out! What do you think of that?

We booked it with insurance and managed to get a 15%!d(MISSING)iscount through STA saving £150 each on the Premier Cover. I can lose all my stuff and still be ok. I'll just have to wear Zuzanas skirts and bras for a few days until my stuff gets replaced.

Being the old softy that I am and as it was her dream in the beginning (and still is - she's dragging me around to carry bags remember) I thought it only right that she should pay - £5000 BOSH!!!! Unfortunately she remembered to use the joint account so I did pay as well... in the end. All smiles and tears.. £5000 shorter... we were ready to celebrate which meant champagne with strawberries, a top dinner and a kiss or two.

So here we are - just under 5mths to go..... and only 4.5MTHS TO FINISH WORK WOOHOO!!!

The fun has just begun.

Will update you shortly with further plans and our progress towards to big day but it's really happening and..... WE ARE GOING TRAVELING ON THE 12TH SEPTEMBER 2009 AROUND THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!!

Speak soon and Happy Travels

Columbus and Scott
(D&Z)

Advertisement



15th April 2009

AWESOME!!!!!!
im very very jealous but trust in the fact that you have three houses to stay at in Melb (mum and dad, sam and wal, me and alex!!) ill make sure we arent travelling at that time (im normally away for my birthday but next yr is the big 30) look forward to meeting zuzanah too :D did i mention jealousy??? :P
15th May 2009

good to see you
good to see you Prince Harry
21st July 2009

Good luck
....take me with you Zuz xXx

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb