Still in Nepal


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Upminster
November 13th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all
Thought it best to send the blog on as the lights keep dipping which is a sign of - yes loosing all I have typed.
On the second night we visited a restuarant called Everest where we had the biggest steak our eyes ever saw. We all ordered steak - bearing in mind that the Ïndians"on our trip dont see beef at all so we had to have a steak. Well Maurice and Brian ordered a steak each that must have been a foot long with chips/boiled potatoes, mushrooms and veggies piled high to the sky. We others also had steak - the steak was so juicy and tender we simply couldnt believe it. We also had apple pie and ice cream - heaven had come at last.... The following morning we were up early again - breakkie wasnt the greatest at all and the tea was like dishwater until Lindley and I asked for tea and then asked for extra tea bags - so we had tea and added the tea bags. Bhaktapyur is the third largest city in the Makthmandu valley it was the capital of Nepal between 12th and 15th century. Afterthe demise of King Malla his offsprings couldnt hold the integrity of the country and 3 independent principalities were formed - Bhaktapur, Kathmandu and Patan. Bhaktapur is 14 km from Kathmandu and is the best preserved of the 3 cities. It's industry is mainly art, architecture, pottery and weaving. You also see the local customs and culture everywhere here. The palace doors and window frames all have beautiful wood carvings. We also walked the little lanes and maurice was doing his bargaining again and been very successful at it too. We visited one of the world heritage sites of Nepal which reflects the city's rich culture art and architectural designs. There is a gate which has a surround all of gold on copper. We took a walk into the courtyard and saw what could be a beatiful pool. It has a snake surrounding the edge of the pool. We then travelled to the ghats where they burn the dead every Friday. we asked why there was so many funerals and the guide said that the population was growing which resulted in the many dying. We werent keen on going right up to the ghats as the smell was enough to put you off going any further. We visited the largest Buddhist Stupa in Nepal. This temple is a very important site for pilgrimage since its construction. An impressive temple. We couldnt not enter but was able to climb to the top of the "roof"and looked out over the valley.
Kathmandu Durbar Square is one of 3 durbar squares in the Kathmandu valley. This was the royal Nepalese residence until the 19th century. There is a big Taleju Bell which is quite striking. The Hanuman Dhoka Palace is still the center of many royal ceremonies. The palace is decorated with elaborately carved wooden windows doors and surrounding panels. Nepal has a living goddess. This ancient tradition still continues today. The child is choosen at the age of 4 and is replaced when she reaches purberty. She is taken away from her parents and has no contact with the outside world at all. She has tutors who teach her every day for about 4 hours and she greets the public twice a day. She is richly decorated and is respected and treated in the same way as Dalai Lama. She is known as goddess Kumari and is believed to be the incarnation of goddess Taleju - the protector of Kathmandu Valley. Even the King has to bow down to her (when he was the King - he has been dethroned recently and it has been parliamented). We were very lucky to see her at 12 noon. What a lovely little girl she is all richly dressed up - she waved to us and I waved and was told I had to bow to her but I was so exicited to see this royality that I forgot! On the east of durban Square there is a templye (cant remember the name) which is a giant wooden pavillion believed to have been built out of a single tree trunk.
We also visited the Monkey temple or Swayambhunath Stupawhich I didnt like as I felt I couldnt touch anything (shame on you Olga!) but there were hundreds of monkeys and dogs - must have been mating season....say no more and the people were there by the thousands. This temple is located at the top of a hill and is a famous Buddhist shrine. It is a white dome with a glittering spire. It is believed to contain the relics of Kashyap Buddha. There are numerous monasteries around the stupa. There were candles been lit ohhh the view was good and the bargaining good. At times I felt like screaming and running cause the locals try to sell off their goods and hound you till you give in but then the bargaining starts. Maurice was fantastic - he bargained for everyone and got his price in the end - he has the nack I tell you - but I really felt so pressurized. They watch your eyes - the moment they see you look at something they wont leave you alone no matter what you tell them even Piet was swearing in afrikaans and they still hounded! I think the guide got the hint that we were tired of seeing temples. He was good but I battled to understand him at times. So had to listen well and write all down once I got into the room.
Kathmandu is the hub of Nepal's traditinal culture and arts. This is the place for rest and relaxation before going on a trek or after coming back from a trek. It was buzzing day and night. Everyone greets you "namasta"and the bargaining was real good. On the morning of our departure - one man told Maurice he was a dangerous man as Maurice had knock him down on an article from 1500 Nrs to 600 Nrs! hows that for bargaining. The night life is good and alive with music flowing from the open windows and so is the food. We also visited Rumdoodle resturant on our last night which was smashing. We had such great fun in Kathmandu but I really didnt like the people hounding you even the shopkeepers persisted on you buying their goods. If you are the first customer to make an offer for the day then they usually agree to your offer but with much haggeling. And they tell you that they will give you yr price because if they dont accept yr price and you walk away then you will bring them bad luck.
Anyway on our arrival at the airport our luggage went thru the scanning process, then w checked in and again it went thru the scanning process - then when we went thru immigration and you and yr hand luggage was again put thru scanning and you were searched again and when you went thru the gate the same procedure and outside the plane before youclimbed the stairs the same procedure. It was then that we discovered that there had been terrorist alerts all over Nepal and India. My next blog will be Calcutta. Bye

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb