Delhi, Jaipur & Agra


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Upminster
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all
Sorry about last update, power surge and problem with computer in Delhi and power surge in Jaipur. Gave up so am now in Kolkata and things seem to be going fine. I will opublish as I go along as I dont want to loose what I have typed as I have been doing along !@#$%^&*!!
We left Bombay on 1.11.06 and flew to Delhi where empoers have appeared and disappeard. It is a city of modern and old. Delhi has been the center of all activities at all times even when we arrived they were having a industrial strike. There was no metro nor were there any shops open. The hotel was the Connaught - we thought it was good for the purpose. Room a little small but otherwise it was fine. They had some really attractive flower arrangements which ideas I will take back home with me. We saw India Gate which is a 42m high stone arch of triumph. It bears the names of 85,000 Indian army soldiers who died in the ampaigns of WW1, the North West frontiers and 1919 Afghan fiasco. Then we visited Humayun's Tomb build by the wife of Huymayun in the mid 16th century. It is a red sand stone structure and is considered to be the predecessor of Taj Mahal. This is a wonderful example of the best Mughal architecture. Every pillar had carvings on it. Although there were signs of faces removed as when the Hindus became more dominant they removed the faces as they dont worship any living creatures. In 11999 the Qutb-ud-din raised the Qutab Minar as a victory tower to the adjacent mosque. From the base of 14.32m it tapers to 2.75 m at a height of 72.5m. It is the highed stone tower in India and one of the finest Islamic structures ever raised. It is a Delhi landmark.
Rajghat is on the banks of Jamuna. Mahatma Gandhi's last rites were performed here. There is a memorial stone of Gandhi in a square shape made of black stone with his last word Hey Ram inscribed on it. Every Friday (the day he died) a prayer is held there.
The Red Fort is built in sandstone - but we just drove pas as we preferred to take a bike-rickshaw ride thru old Delhi - this area is called Chandini Chowk. This was something to experience and certainly a highlight. We had nothing to hold onto other then each other's leg. The poor Indian that peddelled the bike with us on must have some pair of muscles in his legs. Anyway it was such fun travelling down the narrow alleyways and watching how the shops were beginning to open up and seening the goods they were selling. The smells from spices to flowers were fascinating. The people were all busy and were pleasant enough to greet you. I must say they are a fine nation for talking and saying hello to you and always with a smile on there face.

Advertisement



7th November 2006

Jisleik but you people are busy
Glad to hear you are both having a great time and it sounds like you are enjoying yourselves immensly. I did laugh at the story about the "Touch my hol" fart
7th November 2006

hello
Am glad to hear you guys are enjoying your holiday, sorry to hear you were not feeling well, but then again we have told you not to eat from the roadside. Enjoy it speak to you again.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb