London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Twickenham
June 13th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in London from Paris on the fast train (only 2 hours). To hop straight into a London Taxi. It took 4 of us plus luggage and had a barricade between us and the driver. A little different from home. Next morning we are off on a mission to the Royal Mews- where the Queen keeps her Royal carriges and some of her horses. Closed till 11am (not 10am as advertised). Everywhere we go, the times have changed or there is a private function, so it is closed. Anyway unpeturbed we decide to visit the Queens gallery to see the Queens treasures. Glad we did. It was great. We saw Leonardo Da Vinci's original sketches, Queen Victoria's jewelled crown and a 1752 world map. As you know Australia was not discovered until 1788-So.............we weren't on the map. Next the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham palace (and of course tea with the Queen. Ha! Ha! or maybe dinner with Charles - This will be explianed in a later blog about Windsor Castle) Anyway there is a lot of extra pomp and ceremony this day because it is near the Queen's birthday celebrations. There were extra bands, troops on horsesd, and cariages roaming the streets picking up embassadors, etc. A bus even went through the arch into the palace during the ceremony. When it has finished, we finally visit the Royal Mews. Everyone agrees even the staff, that the Australian carriage is the best. After all this regal stuff, a bit of a walk in the park and history at Churchhills cabinet war rooms. We go down into the bunkers, where Churchhill commanded the troops during the war. It is all far underground and left as it was at the end of the war. The phones all lined up ,the signs on the walls and doors. and the maps on the walls with the pins to mark where the troops had advanced to. We ttried to see the Banqueting house - closed for private function. Next Kensington Palace- last tours at 5pm - arrive 4.57pm , gates close 10 mins before last tour. We walked through Dianas park to the Albert memorial- very grand, and then back to westminster and big ben, ( no Benjamin , not you), for an open top cruise down the Thames towards home. It is great to see buildings from a different perspective. then home for the best chicken burgers we've ever tasted.

Next day first stop Windsor Castle. Just to get the train here is an adventure, but we arrive safely and walk up the hill to the castle. When we walk in, the changing of the guard again. We watch this for a while, more up close than Buckingham Palace. The castle is so spread out with walls around the outside. We walk up to St Georges Chapel - where Charles married camilla, and Margaret and the queen mother are buried. Everyone who becomes a sovereign i.e. a king or queen, is buried here along with their husband or wife. Other royalty is buried at Frogmore nearby. Next to the state appartments and queen victorias dolls house- it's as big as our kitchen with its own plumbing and lighting, and even has it's own butlers room.We move through the rest of the castle, which seems to be sparsely furnished compared to Verseille. Kareena really wants to see the dining room table set. She's seen it on tv and how precise it has to be. When we walk into the second dining room there are caterers and florists everywhere. masses of pink flowers, sparkling crystal, huge gold candle holders and great gold bowls. the tables were so full. I'm not sure how people talk across the table, let alone see whose on the other side. Sorry no photos- we're not allowed to take photos in any royal place or most churches. In the sistene chapel we couldn't take photos because the asians paid for the restoration and they own the copyright. Anyway, back to that massive table at windsor. No flies on me, up I go and ask when i should turn up for dinner and who I'd be dining with. Dinner is at 7.30 with Charles. The table has been set for 70 guests. If I wanted to come , it would be formal dress. We didn't pack any thing for the occasion, and we are going to Shakespeare's Globe at 7.30pm, so we had to decline the offer. Oh, well Easy come easy go. more of London next time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb