British English


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

British English and expressions are a little different than the Canadian English we're used to. For example, instead of "Exit" signs, the tubes show you the "Way Out" ... like you're back in the 60's. In Canada we Yield, whereas the British “Give Way”.

There are also quaint place names and street names. Many places names also don't sound anything like they are spelled. Does "what's-this-here-sauce" sound familiar? Besides, place names can have multiple meanings or pronunciations.

Seems like technical writing is in E..'s blood, or at least taking things literally. When we arrived at the Navy cadet ceremony, a greeter at the entrance was trying to find out whose guests we were. When she asked “who are you with”, however, E.. replied “we are together.” The poor cadet was all confused until we greeted N..'s cousin who had arrived from work just ahead of us and the greeter realized we were with their family.

In London we bought Oyster cards giving us unlimited travel on the London tubes, buses and trolleys. Children are free when accompanied by an adult. They work by touching the Oyster card to any turnstiles that display the yellow Oyster symbol and there are special turnstiles for users with children/luggage or need assistance. When we were taking our luggage to the hotel, E.. managed to slip through the same turnstile as N.. and W.., without using her Oyster card. She quickly realized that if the system has no record of her getting on the tube, she may have a problem getting off. She asked for help from the attendant who instructed her to “touch the scanner”, which she dutifully touched with her hand! The attendant then took the Oyster card from her other hand and scanned it for her. Just another example of taking instructions literally can get you into trouble.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb