Alright Governor….


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
June 16th 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pip, Pip And All That



Day three in London Town and I was on the move again… first off…. straight into Westminster again to head to the South Bank and jump on the London Eye before the crowds got to much. Buying an all-in-one ticket for 60 quid meant I could see three other attractions within a month and save about 19 pounds too. Up there for thinking I always say!!. The Eye (or Millennium Wheel) gave amazing views of the MI6 headquarters on the banks of the Thames, passed the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, all the way up to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. St Paul’s Cathedral’s dome is equally as impressive from above as below and Wembly Stadium could be seen in the distance. Waterloo and Charing Cross train stations stand out like sore thumbs and Hyde Park shows it’s true size from the air.

Next door is the London Aquarium, showcasing not just all the normal sharks and fish but the ecosystems within the Thames and the influence of the Great Conveyor Belt Current on all of Britain.

Since I was in the area, I thought I’d check out Waterloo Station, with it’s many overland lines as well as about six underground stories for the tube, before heading up to Tower Bridge Station for the London Dungeons tour. Not what I expected but fantastic all the same. If your in London make sure you do this!!! Guided through scenes from old London by a series of actors, it regales the seedier side of the city as well as some of it’s more famous events. Covering invasions, torture methods, royalty and their decisive justice, Jack The Ripper and the London fire, it was a well choreographed performance that was humorous and informative all in one.

While in the area of the south side of London Bridge, I headed up the Thames to Shakespeare’s Globe, the round, medieval, open theatre that William Shakespeare wrote a lot of his plays for. With a performance running, I couldn’t get inside to have a look so had to settle for a postcard instead. Further along the Thames and I reached Millennium Bridge again, with a view over the bridge and up to St Paul’s Cathedral that is inspiring. Pudding Lane isn’t to far from here on the North Bank and is where the devastation all began. A shop here was the origin of the London fire, and although the shop is no longer there (I thought there’d at least be a sign or plaque but not to be) the proximity of the street to the London Bridge and Tower of London shows how close the city came to ruin.

The last place included in the combination ticket is out on Baker Street. Madam Tussaud’s has become an institution for London and it is said that “your not famous until your in Madam Tussaud’s”. Ranging from actors, celebrities and singers to politicians, presidents and royalty, with a few sportsmen and intellectuals thrown in too. The works are extraordinary in their lifelike states and the few wax photographers dotted around the place always catch someone out as they apologise for walking through their imaginary shot.

Around the corner from there is 221B Baker Street, the house of Sherlock Homes. With tours and a museum/gift shop, you can exit in tweed jacket and hat saying “Elementary Watson” and feel British to the core. Further up Baker Street is the home of cricket… Lord’s, and with the Ashes just around the corner, you can feel the excitement already instilling itself in the people and the ground.

A leisurely stroll through Regents Park, opposite Lord’s, turned into one of the best moments of my life!!! The gardens are beautiful, though not as big as some of the other parks around, but house Queen Mary’s Garden which is full of manicured lawns, rose beds, fountains and even a Japanese garden on an island. This is where it happened!!! Walking alongside the lake, I recognise a voice behind me. Turning, to my astonishment , there is Billy Connelly talking with a friend doing the same as me…. although I think he calls it “a wee strollette.” Edging closer I over hear them talking about his newest tour of Canada and the throat singing that the eastern Eskimos do. Not being able to resist, I apologise for the interuption, and mention that I’ve just been through Mongolia and they do it there too. A conversation ensues about the fact that a Mongolian man I met said he had been to Canada to participate with the Eskimos and that the only reason I knew what he was talking about was because I had watched his show and read his book (cheers Mel!!!). Unfortunately, knowing how he ridicules people in his performances for taking his photo and asking for autographs, the only proof I have of the encounter are a couple of sneaky pics I managed from a distance afterwards. Still….. BRILLIANT!!!!

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust


Additional photos below
Photos: 132, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



22nd June 2009

Billy
Hi Mark, Absolutely unbelievable. U being the biggest fan of Billy Connolly and just happen to bump into him at Regents Park. Fantastic. Definitely an unforgetable experience.
25th June 2009

WHAT??????
i am possibly the most jealous person in the world right now!!!!! ha ha imagine if he used that experience in one of his shows! aaaaaah STARSTRUCK!!!! lol! :)

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb