Yea -- made it to Buck Pal -- Sept 6 Saturday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
September 8th 2008
Published: September 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, London, Sept 6 Day 14
No automatic wake-up; got up at 7:00, slept pretty well. Nice to have fried eggs and toast for bkfast, and really good fresh fruit, very nicely cut up. Good full breakfast here, didn't care for the sausages and bacon, or waffles, but there was lots of choice (breakfasts are included with the tour cost).

Due in lobby at 8:20 for an 8:30 included sightseeing tour; chatted with a couple from Illinois who are just starting a 3-week Europe tour; their son recently moved to Swannanoa next to Asheville. Bus not quite full, with folks from 2 or 3 other tours. Only about half a dozen left from my first tour.

Guide pointed out lots of buildings, with a witty, very good narration and we had a stop at St. Paul's cathedral, where Diana and Charles were married - it's very large and beautifully built - not as gaudy as some I've seen, very impressive. Some gorgeous chandeliers. Had a little time on our own for WC and shop (bought 2 postcards at 60p each).

Waited for part of guard changing across from Clarence house and St. James Palace. It started raining just as the band was about to appear, but they came ahead, even tho the guide says they often don't do it or they don't play, when it's raining. We were quite a ways from the Palace (Buck Pal) - only saw the one fellow in big hat marching behind the band. He had sent us off for a few minutes into the park to take a long shot photo of part of the front of Buck Pal.

Came back to hotel for lunch break - had warm beer and chicken salad snack in my room and started typing up notes. Went down to Globus office to ask a few questions and wait for next tour. Globus has a space here and 3 or so staff on duty for most of the day - they wear a full uniform: red suit and black heels (one has graduated to a black suit), with red and black blouse (or dickey) - their shoes even match. There seem to be several Globus tours going in and out of this hotel (and others). Our half day tours are combos of folks from other hotels and tours, with local guides. This is a huge hotel, with convention facilities also.

Tour this afternoon was an optional, costs 2+ times as much for Buck Pal than if I'd queued up and bought my own ticket, but awfully nice to be dropped off close by and have a pre-set time to go into things. We started with a visit to the Royal Mews, that was too long. Saw a few coaches and a few horses. The rarely used State coach is big and beautiful - very gold and elaborate. The “Glass Coach” that carried Diana to her wedding is on display with a small photo of her in it. No postcards of her in the official shops, tho. A few different cards with Camilla; I expect they're not big sellers.
Had a bit of a wait to go into Buck Pal - snarl at security - almost like airport security. Since we were still outside, I snapped a photo of the waiting crowd (way before security) and got sternly warned that photos were only allowed in the garden. The audio guide is included and well worth using (I don't normally like them, but this one was well-done and easy to use). Buck Pal is not all that interesting looking on the outside, but inside it is marvelous (I seem to be saying “spectacular” a lot on this trip) -- “absolutely brilliant” -- I think I could say better than Versailles, but that may be just because it's fully furnished and Versailles is nearly empty. I almost “cried for happy” on the way out - so glad I came at this time of year when it's possible to visit Buckingham Palace. They had the room that is used for State Banquets all set up with flowers and table service (and mannequins to show a server, page and guards). Wonderful artwork, appointments and architecture.

It was a 15 minute walk through the garden (rather plain) to the place to catch the bus outside the exit. Good thing I didn't dawdle inside. We were a little rushed for time, but I was getting pretty tired once again anyway, so it probably was about right. The guidebook (L4.95) does not do it justice - there are also other more detailed books, but I can't carry that many books home! Still haven't seen much of the front of Buck Pal - maybe it's more impressive out there on the outside (the inside is totally impressive).

I had thought about walking or tubing back, but too tired, so just came back to hotel, dropped off my stuff and then went out to pick up a couple of things (more liniment, beer, postcards - some handy shops on the side street out the back door of the hotel). There's an Internet Cafe that charges L1.30 an hour for wireless on your own laptop, so I will give that a try in a day or two. The couple from Illinois was there sending email when I went in (it's in a “Food City” small, more reasonable grocery store).

Dinner in the noisy sports bar at the hotel - happy hour beer (50% off L3.95 for a pint) and a burger (L8.95 for a rather large uninteresting burger and a huge pile of standard fries - that's about $18-20). Going to Disney World is going to seem like a bargain after this trip. (And again, I don't know how to make the sign for a Pound, so just going to use a capital L for the next two weeks - not sure of the current exchange rate - I think a Pound is roughly $2.00, so even tho prices look “normal” they're actually twice what I'm used to.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb