My London, London Bridge gonna go down...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day trip to London with the Criminology class
Stops along the way: Foundling Museum, the British Museum, the Tower of London, ending off with a walking tour - a Jack the Ripper walk

All our stops, obviously, are related to the course we are studying - so there was a political/governmental twist to things. It wasn't just a free-for-all in London - sadly. I'm doing that TOMORROW with the girls =)

The Foundling Museum
About: The Foundling Museum - briefly, it was previously a home for abandoned children. Children whose mothers were unable to care for them, illegitimate children etc.

The art inside was simply amazing. Eight-foot tall oil paintings, which we obviously couldn't take pictures of. The top floor was a sort of shrine to George Handel - and on display was his last will and testament and numerous codicils, the last of which was written two days before he died. He left money to his maids and servants etc. His whole estate was worth about 20,000 pounds. Which back then, is obviously worth - ALOT.

The British Museum
About: The British Museum - this makes the ROM look like a little kiosk of sorts. Everything in there is MASSIVE. The Rosetta Stone is also housed here. I, sadly, only got to see the replica of it because we didn't have time to see where the real one was.

The Tower of London
About: The Tower
Simply amazing. Surrounded by the Thames, the Tower Bridge, and the HMS Belfast. So much history at my fingertips, how did I possibly get so LUCKY?? =)

We saw King Henry the VIII's suit of armour. I didn't know he was such a big dude. I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Jack the Ripper Walk
About: Jack The Ripper
My battery died before we went on this walk =( Anyway, it was very intriguing because the murders remain unsolved due to various reasons. Because these happened over 120 years ago, a few of the streets no longer exist because they were bombed during WWII. But we did get to see a few authentic locations - the exact spot where one of the bodies was found, the actual doorway where evidence was found, the Ten Bells pub, the pub where all of the victims had visited before they were found murdered, and where one of the bodies were found.



NB: some of my pictures are showing up discoloured or distorted for some weird reason. But they show up fine in my camera. I dunno.





Additional photos below
Photos: 132, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb