Life in hostels


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
August 20th 2005
Published: August 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The London EyeThe London EyeThe London Eye

We didn't go on it.. They wanted too many £'s from us!
After 22 hours, we finally made it to London. The plane touched down at Heathrow on a muggy English summer's day. After a long wait we eventually had our bags and then took a 45min tube ride to Russel Square, in central London.

Carrying our 20kg backpacks around, we were extremely exhausted by the time we found our accomodation - and what an experience it has been. This place is called 'The Generator' and has a few hundred beds. Coming from a decent house in Australia, to now sharing a small room with 5 other people was a big shock to the senses! Living in a place like this, with minimal privacy really makes you appreciate how good you have it back home. But appart from that it hasn't been too bad here.. I mean, how can you complain when you can get £1 pints from the bar??

We're all toured out at the moment. We've been to the Tower Bridge tour, a tour of Winston Churchill's wartime bunker, as well as museum after museum. Today has been the first day where we haven't done anything - and it feels sooo good.

This is probably going to be
Our HostelOur HostelOur Hostel

It's small and it smells..
our last night in London, we're thinking of hiring a car tomorrow and traveling around the country a bit and perhaps as far north as Scotland. We've got over a week to kill before we fly out to Spain.

My thoughts of London:

The Good -



The history of everything around you (something we just don't have back home).
Pub dinners - nothing like finishing off the day with a warm English meal and a pint of amber.
Loads of different cultures that make this city very interesting.

The Bad -


Everything here goes at such a rapid pace, the people are always in a rush to be somewhere - which makes it difficult to just relax and take your time.
The weather - It's summer here, but yesterday and today it was pouring with rain. :-(
There are some very dirty areas of town where buildings are old and haven't been looked after and the lower-class people are cramped into tiny flats.


So tommorow hittin the road, probably going to Dover, then up to Nottingham, and then who know's where. Can't wait to find some better accomodation!

That's it for now.
The HistoryThe HistoryThe History

The best part about London is all the old buildings..
Couldn't upload photo's on this computer, but the next netcafe we come across we'll put a few up.

Until next time, best regards,

- Joel


Advertisement



22nd August 2005

Taking Home-Life for Granted
Well, yes I can see how much of a shock it mus've been to find yourself changing your 'jocks'infront of four Koreans!!! BrO
24th August 2005

Hi mate it's good to see that you are having a good time.you will probably be in spain when you read this message hope the accomadation is better then what it was in london, and lot's of sunshine.hope you are taking your dad's advice and leaving the 1 pound drink' s alone.until next time take care.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb