Wandering in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kensington
September 6th 2011
Published: September 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday was the first day of class! Well I only have class in the afternoon so it isn't bad at all. The theatre class is going to be great fun. It seems as if all we do is watch plays and write reviews and maybe read a review here or there. We don't have an actual class for another 3 weeks because we are going on tours and just watching plays for the weeks in between. This is such a wonderful relaxed place. The actual place that we have our classes in is actually quite nice. There's a nice garden that you walk through in order to get to the classroom which is surprising once again especially because you go from a street which is building after building and then just go through this building a ways and through the door is a fairly large garden complete with a tennis court. Also, for the seminar class we have to find something that interests us and research it in more detail and write a 5-7 page paper about it by the end of the 10 weeks here. Not too bad and I know I want to do something with food just not exactly sure what. Someone gave me the idea of comparing restaurants in America to the ones in London or where ever else I plan to travel which isn't that bad of an idea.

Anyways I also went to the grocery store again which will be the most significant event that I will probably remember about this whole trip. A lot of the food is very organic and fresh and there aren't many products made with preservatives. This grocery store was a lot like Walmart and much more reasonably priced which was very good!

Later that night though, we went to see a production at the Criterion Theatre in Picadilly Square called "The 39 Steps." It was actually quite funny, I mean I had to get a little used to the British humor. But they did things out of character on purpose. For example they missed their cues and made a joke about it or something was out of place with a prop which was amusing. What made it even funnier though was that there were only 4 actors for the entire play but not only four characters. At times there were men playing a woman character and when an actor was quickly switching between characters there was jokes made about it and the other actors just saying to them "oh get on with it already". What is weird to me though is that you actually have to pay for the program they give you. I believe it was 3.5 pounds which is quite a lot especially since they are free whenever you go to a play in the states.

Tuesday's I have completely free to do whatever I want. I met a friend for lunch in this restaurant called the Stock Pot which had fairly reasonably priced food in Chelsea standards and it was the first American meal I had. Just a regular sandwich and fries with a glass of water. It was the first time I've had fries here and they are delicious. Crispy and fresh and not covered in grease. Another difference is something as simple as a glass of water. You have to ask for tap not still otherwise they charge you and they don't give you ice for anything unless you ask for it. So basically they serve you a small glass of tepid water. Service doesn't hover over you for refills or check on you at all you have to wave them over.

Today I also experienced the London weather! Rainy and windy all day but it wasn't that cold unless you were soaking wet. Usually everyone in America would be hidden inside not wanting to do anything because it's raining. It's like the rain doesn't even phase people here. They just wear their coats or carry umbrellas constantly and are still walking everywhere or taking public transportation. I also took the tube for the second time! It's always fun to get on there and the first stop we made was West Minister Abbey and Big Ben! Of course we just walked along the Thames and gazed at it but it was quite a sight to see! It really is huge and at every hour it plays a pretty tune. We crossed over the river to the Hayward Gallery where they were displaying an artist named John Cage. He was both a composer and a visual artist. He was quite interesting to say the least. But I felt very cultured afterwards. We then made our way to Trafalgar Square where they famously used to feed the pigeons. They aren't able to anymore because it was banned in order to keep the area free from debris and they have four statues that are large surrounding the square and a pretty fountain in the middle. I also visited the National Art Gallery here and saw some of my first famous paintings. For example I saw a Van Gough, Renoir and Pissaro just to name a few. I would say after this day I feel just a bit more cultured which is never a bad thing.

We then stopped at this place for coffee and cake which was really good. I had a really good dessert and the name of it escapes me right now. And a French Vanilla latte which was definitely different. Then we took the tube back and they were handing out free newspapers and magazines which I have still yet to read. We passed a few homeless people as well and they are actually allowed to sell magazines and keep the profits from them.

It was wonderful to have nothing to do besides what I wanted all day. Just to be able to wonder around, get lost a bit, and not be frustrated because you might stumble across some new adventure that you never would have expected when you first started your day. If only life were like that everyday then you would have one great never ending adventure and be able to truly live your life to the fullest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb