Day 2: Attractions Galore


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kensington
September 14th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Hey everyone, thanks for all the comments its great to hear from you all.

Today was soooo much better than yesterday!

We went to sleep before 8pm our time and I woke up at around 5am. I felt really rested as I had like 9+ hours of much needed sleep. I walked into the bathroom with my laptop and chatted on msn and facebook quietly a bit trying not to disturb Dad. With that said he woke up not much later and we sort of just relaxed in the room. I seem to think we have a haunted room though as I kept noticing strange noises coming from the closest. Of course when I mentioned it to Dad the noises never happened again...we've decided to name our live-in ghost George. Later we went downstairs to enjoy our continental breakfast and it was quite nice. Croissants, teas/coffee, juice, cereal etc. It was plain but nice and light for the day.

We then went out and started our day by walking a few blocks and bought a double-decker pass to enjoy for the day. It was one of those hop-on, hop-off tour buses and it was stellar. The beginning of the tour began just going through certain neighboorhoods of London like Belgravia, Notting Hill, Kensington, Westminster, Mayfair and Knightsbridge. You really need to see these areas to understand the beauty of London. The buildings are so fantastic and differ from street to street. I took so many photos of homes its staggering Ha-ha. from there we saw such great sights as Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, The Marble Arch, Lambeth Palace, and then some. We went into Westminster Abbey which was GORGEOUS. I never went last time so visitng it was such a delight. The building was built around the 1200's and the condition and beauty of it is amazing. The Abbey is the burial site of many famous historical figures and also is home of coronations and memorials.

From The Abbey we visiting Parliament and saw Big Ben which is the best quintessential London sight. The architecture is fantastic and we got some fantastic photos. We went took a river cruise along the Thames and saw some great landmarks like Somerset House, OXO Tower, The Gherkin tower, Tate Modern and of course Tower Bridge.

After that we hopped back onto the Double Decker and got some random new guide who had a thick cockney accent and kept singing songs and reciting phrases from old films. He was an odd wee old lad.
We then got off at Oxford Street and bought tons of souvenirs from a great shop! I spent way too much money haha. AND it wouldn't be a trip without a "Where's the bathroom!?!!?" moment! At the shop I had to run like a block or 2 into some sketchy KFC to use a toilet which was disgusting. I've yet to see a clean looking bathroom yet!

The weather's been good so far. A bit cold! Especially on the top of a double decker bus! But luckily it has remained mostly cloudy with sunny patches here and there.

Then we hit the pub!! The Swan to be exact. We had some great drinks and fish and chips, jacket "baked" potatoes and enjoyed the ambiance. It was really special!

Later we did some more sightseeing and shopping around our neighboorhood of Queensway and discovered some great finds nearby which we will check out again tomorrow!

We will be visiting The Tower of London tomorrow, as well as Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus for a closer look!

Hope you enjoy the pictures I add! Its David signing off and I'm SO ready to sleep!

Night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



14th September 2009

Yay for you! Sounds like tons of fun. I have to say, I can already detect a slight britishness in your writings. :D Have fun at the Tower of London, reportedly the most haunted building in London. Get a picture of the Japanese samurai armour on display in the White Tower for me PLEASE!
15th September 2009

hopping on a plane to join you!
you are just having waaaay tooo much fun! but, i'm so happy for you. again, love the pics and blog - fantastic!!!!! hope you had a great sleep and fantastic day!
15th September 2009

BLIMEY!!!
Wow...you guys are having way too much fun!! The pictures are great... Glad you are getting some much needed sleep even with your friendly ghost "George" around...lol
15th September 2009

COOOL!
AWESOME pictures daveed-o! I hate the "WHERE'S THE WASHROOM!?" moments!!!!! I hope you're going to return w/ an accent! lol (((: The Swan looked really nice! There's soo many amazing places in London, no wonder you love it so much!

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb