London Week 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Islington
January 29th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I think I have fallen in love with London, the only thing to top it off would be some snow. Each morning I wake up and peer out the window in hope but knowing it was just too warm. To see the city and even the local area covered in a layer of snow would be magic and to make matters worse I know it will bucket down the day we get home.

This week we all got tickets to Wicked. Josephine and I had seen the production in Melbourne and we had all listened to the music so it was more familiar to us than some of the other productions. This took nothing from the magic and everyone seemed to enjoy it. What we have noticed is the audience seems to be more vocal and invoved in the production than you might see in Melbourne or Sydney. The polite clapping is replaced by cheering and they quickly respond if anything is directed towadrs the audience. Ian and I also managed to get some cheep tickets to Lady Killers on our last night, a perfect way to end our time in London. Must say walking down the stairs in Picadilly circus to the tube was hard and did bring a tear to the eye and a promise to return soon.


We did get a bit of shopping done this week and battled the crowds on Oxford St. If we had 1/10th of the selection that they have there alone I would be a happy shopper. We also made it to Protobello Rd in Notting hill for the markets. With bags already groaning we made them scream with a few new items.

Ian and Hamish did finally get to Emirates to do the tour and have lots of photos of Hamish siiting in the change rooms, drooling over the memorabilla and panting to get onto the ground. Hamish has now sworn off all TV, computer and electronic device so he can dedicate all his waking hours to soccer (yeah right). Unfortunately they were unable to get tickets to a game at Emirites but did get to see other clubs in action.

While Ian heading out of the city to collect his Passport with Oliver, I took the others to the London Dungeon. This was alot of fun and as good, or even better then the Edinburgh Dungeon. The kids got picked on, Hamish got thrown in jail, and we were all learned a few grusome facts about London.

The Natural History Museum and The Science Museum sit side by side so we decided to try and conquor both in one day. Both are amazing and you need more than one day in one of them but with limited time the kids did see alot. Both are so well set out with things for all ages. Oliver was facinated with the dinosaurs and the others loved all the exhibits in the science museum.

We have tried to fine decent coffee and were sucessful in a small cafe near us but apart from this it was all BAD. I do not get it. The Brits are unable to make a coffee but can do an amazing beer. Our local pub provided a couple of great meals and the food available throughout the city was good. I will also miss the quick Tesco lunch and premade meals. To be able to get the same variety of pre made meals at a reasonable price at home would be so helpful.

Much of the rest of the week was either revisiting special spots or just taking in the sites around the city. We walked along the river and looked out at the Tower Bridge, walked accross the Mellenium bridge, visited Big Ben and had a shop and lunch in Covent Garden. We also spent some time in the local area of Islington. The kids got used to walking up to the local park while we got ready in the morning. They have all grown up so much and become so independant.

Next stop Dubai and then home. It will be hard to be back in a small town like Hobart. We have seen so much and done everything we wanted and more. We had lots of ideas and plans before we left and some we stuck to and many changed but that is the beauty of travelling independantly. There were no major hiccups on route, no regrets and we have all made it to this point in one piece. I just wish it could go on forever.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb