London navigation


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Greenwich
March 28th 2015
Published: March 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

IMG_7167IMG_7167IMG_7167

Tess and Leanne in Greenwich Park
Have arrived in London and made a long cab ride across peak hour traffic on the last day of school before Easter holiday - hectic!!

Spent the day with our wonderful friends Leanne and Glyn and their boy Griff. Tess and Leanne are school friends, so a big high to the 'Rita's Reds' back home.

A quick bus ride and we were walking across Blackheath parks, down past the Greenwich observatory and to the Old Royal Naval College.

Greenwich marks the Prime Meridian, the point everyone bases their navigation of longitude from, such a British thing to claim everything revolves around them but probably understandable when you consider the volume of sea trade at the time.

The Old Royal Naval College is now largely a university so the area has a great vibe with markets and excellent pubs.

Another high light of the day was seeing our niece Megan and her partner Mark for lunch at the Gipsy Moth. Good food, good beer and whiskey and lots of laughs. And even better was that Mark didn't crumble under the scrutiny and twenty questions strategically played by the uncle and his Aussie mate.

Local knowledge is
IMG_7175IMG_7175IMG_7175

Realigned to the Prime Meridian
always a bonus and our wonderful hosts took us on a tour through around the area, through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel over to Isle of Dogs, and back on to the Light Rail and out past the old Woolwich arsenal. Public transport systems here are so fantastic, look forward to the day we can have systems like this...

Always so much to do in London, but tomorrow is another day on our journey and with our bearings and watches now reset to the Prime Meridian we set off to Bonnie Scotland.

A great big thanks to our friends Glyn, Leanne and Griff for having us and giving us


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_7169IMG_7169
IMG_7169

Greenwich observatory
IMG_7186IMG_7186
IMG_7186

Greenwich Foot Tunnel
IMG_7189IMG_7189
IMG_7189

Painted Hall in Old Royal Naval College


29th March 2015

You guys will have to vote Labor/Greens if you want a public transport system like that. Lib = BIG FAT WIDE ROADS !! More political comments to come!

Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb