The South Side of The Thames


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Greenwich
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we climbed up Tower Bridge which is one of the most famous bridges in the world. Most people think that Tower Bridge is London Bridge because it is so beautiful and London Bridge is very ordinary looking. Tower Bridge is a bascule bridge which means it lifts up when a tall ship needs to pass under. We walked across the top of it and later we saw it lift up. It only takes 60 seconds for the bridge to lift up.

Then we sailed east up the Thames to Greenwich. This is where Isaac Newton lived. In Greenwich there is the Meridian Line which is the line that divides the world into east and west. I stood over the line with one foot in the east and the other foot in the west.

Finally we went back to London Bridge and went under the bridge in tunnels that have been set up like London in the olden days. I learned that a murderer called Jack the Ripper used to hang around Whitechapel killing people in the night. The people who lived around London Bridge were scared that Jack would come after them next. There have actually been four London Bridges but the other ones before now got destroyed. The first one was pulled down by The Vikings. The second one was burnt by fire. The third one was sold to an American and now the current London Bridge is number 4. I also learnt a lot of other things about old London Town but they are too gruesome to put on my bog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb