STRANDED IN LONDON - Damn volcanic ash cloud!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Greenwich
April 20th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Aston martin DB9 - pimpedAston martin DB9 - pimpedAston martin DB9 - pimped

Cool cars in heathrow airport, T5. £50 for a ticket, pretty cool prizes tho!

London by any means...

We were supposed to start our 7 month, round the world trip on the 16th April 2010. As I had relatives living in London we thought it would be nice to arrive a few days early and go and visit people before we head off. So, arriving at cork airport (Ireland) on Thursday morning, having said alot of teary goodbyes, we were ready to finally start our adventure! It was then that things began to go very wrong....

Being blissfully unaware of the volcanic eruption that had occurred in Iceland only a few hours before we posed with our shiny new rucksacks for a last photo outside of the terminal. Looking back at the photo later, with some ironic amusement, we saw a guy standing in the back round smoking a cigarette with a knowing smirk on his face staring at the two wannabe backpackers ready to get their first flight. As soon as we entered the terminal we knew something was up; a long, solitary queue had formed leading to the aer lingus help desk while the rest of the building was eerily quiet.

Having been informed of the ash cloud disruption we

were booked onto a similar flight to heathrow later that day, and headed home again with our spirits still high thinking that we'd just get the flight later and still be able to catch our flight from heathrow to Guatemala the following morning....

Three days later- Saturday 17th, morning: Things were getting desperate now; still stuck in Ireland, missed our original flight from Heathrow, booked onto the next available flight on Monday morning but still no sign of any flights going to London, we had to make an executive decision; we booked onto the 9.00 a.m. ferry leaving Rosslare harbour going to Fishguard in Wales for the following morning. After a full day of travelling, starting at 5.00 a.m. Sunday, transported by car, ferry, train, bus and finally a taxi, we arrived at my grandparents house at 10.00 p.m.!

Looking back we were so fortunate to have been able to stay at my grandparents house for next 5 days as we waited for the volcano to relinquish and British airspace to re-open; they really looked after us both and we enjoyed our time in London with them, so thanks Nan and Grandad!!

Eventually, a full week exactly after our original departure flight was cancelled, we boarded the plane to Guatemala City at Heathrow airport. Finally we were starting our trip of a life time!! However, the next 24 hours proved to be far tougher and stressful than any we had endured so far..............




Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb