May 19th - 25th 2009


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Fitzrovia
May 21st 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 19th May 2009



Tuesday what another lazy day. Vanessa has decided to move into this place. I’m not sure whether it’s a good move or not. The place is not very convenient and Vanessa will be doing a lot of waitressing and finishing late at night. I don’t know.

I’m helping her move there tonight.

Walked to BUNAC today through some parks and things. It was really pretty and only a short half an hour walk. I checked my mail and other things. I have organised to have my mail to come directly to my hostel now and to advise them of my working details.

I kind of got us lost on the way back but I wasn’t too far off the beaten track! I’ve been really good so far with my A-Z!

I went to Vanessa’s hostel, St. Christopher’s Inn Hammersmith and moved her stuff to my hostel. We would then move from hostel to Vanessa’s new place.

In the hostel of the girl’s were leaving so I got chips and dips (a whole £2!) and polished off a bottle of red wine! I was a little bit tipsy by this
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

How they wrap them in the tomb
point and didn’t cook dinner. Vanessa and I decided it was time to move her.

We picked up her stuff again and made the move. I only went as far as London Bridge station and Vanessa made the rest of the trip by herself. Finally got back to the hostel and went to bed.

A couple drinks is definitely a cure so that you sleep well.

Wednesday 20th May 2009



Another lazy morning for me. Watched a little more One Tree Hill - I know, I know but I’m having fun lazying around.

There were a big group of people who decided to go to the BUNAC Pub Meet down near London Bridge.

We got to the bus and hopped on. My oyster card didn’t work. Evidently I needed to put some more money on it. Whoops!! So everyone else continued on and I got the next bus. I forgot that I didn’t have anyone’s mobile numbers! One of the guys waited for me at the next bus stop so we continued on together.

We went into a restaurant on the way to the pub meet, as you do which just happened to be one of the chain of restaurants that he works at. It took about 20 minutes for us to be served and to order our beers. It was hilarious! We got one beer and the waiter was like ‘yeah its pouring really slowly at the minute’. He came back with two other beers even though we only needed one. The waiter said that he needed to change the gas over on the pump and that’s why it was taking so long! Well duh!

We got the bill for £35 and we were just like ‘WHAT!!’ It had snacks and other things on there. We were both like this isn’t ours. We ended up not paying for the beers - it was put on staff tab.

So the adventure continued...we went along London Bridge (the fake one, not the real one) and had a bit of a walking tour guide. I was shown the naked lady fountain on the way to the pub. We met a couple of blokes who were fishing for eels. They jelly them, which is sounds really strange and I’m not sure if I would like them at all. They use chicken as bait on a hook!

We continued on our way and then realised we were going the wrong way. So we turned around and walked back again. We finally made it to the pub meet and missed a few people who had already left. We were pretty sober by the time we walked to the pub so I started off with a tequila shot, sambuca shot and beer!

The pub seemed to close quite quickly but you know what I’m like after a couple of drinks, I tend to talk a lot! LOL!!

I had to put more money on my Oyster card because we took the tube back to our station and got out. I’m sure the Tube wouldn’t have been very impressed with all of our shenanigans! We got out of the station and went to subway for a little snack.

Walked around to a back alley and found a little club called ‘Troy 22’ and I really wasn’t sure about it at all. I looked really dodgy, at least I wasn’t by myself and I wasn’t going to walk back by myself. So at first the bouncer wasn’t going to let me in. I
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

I think this is where they put the body parts after they are removed from the body
have no idea why.

The club was interesting to say the least. It was kind of a dodgy club, it was in a lounge room with a lot of chairs around, oh and of course a bar! I said to the guys I was with ‘one of you has to pretend to be my boyfriend because there are a lot of different people around’! You had to sign in being a member so my name was ‘Stacey Tait’. Thanks everyone for the lend of your names. So my ‘fiancé’ and I (we have been engaged for a little while, I don’t wear my ring because I’m allergic to most metals and we decided to travel before we got married!!) had a few drinks, actually a few more shots of tequila. My ‘brother’ was there too, apparently we look a lot alike. I don’t really see the family resemblance but it’s in the eyes!!

There were a few people giving us marriage advice! It was hilarious!!

They played a lot of old music including Johnny Cash and a lot that I can’t remember. We got up and danced quite a bit, old style. It was a lot of
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

I think this is where they put the body parts after they are removed from the body
fun!

I have no idea what time we left there. We made it back to the hostel and some of the people needed cigarettes so we walked to the nearest shop and then walked back again.

I believe we actually had some more drinks and watched some TV until about 5.30am! It was a long but fantastic night!

Thursday 21st May 2009



Slept until 2pm. I was so tired but I guess I didn’t get to bed until 5.30am. So nothing really was achieved today at all. I was supposed to go to my place of employment and drop off my contracts but by the time I got organised it would have been peak hour on the tube and basically, I didn’t have the energy to get down there.

Friday 22nd May 2009



Happy Birthday Adam!!

Slept very well last night, again!! It’s amazing how much sleep you need after a big night over. You’re always worse the next night when you’re body is trying to catch up.

I decided to take a different route to my place of employment today, just so that I knew where
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

Information
I was going on the first day. I completely forgot that on bank holiday weekends the office has a half day. I realised half way there and ended up getting a bit lost. Me thinking that I knew where I was going and yes I did have the map in front of me. Reading a map is not something I’m very good at. I made it down there by 12.30pm and thankfully someone in the HR department was still there!

The place where I work is located between Elephant & Castle and Borough station near Southbank University. There is a student book place nearby that had a special 3 for the price of 2, and they had Twilight. So I succumbed to pressure and bought the first three books. I can’t believe I waited this long to read them.

Got back to the hostel, not many plans for tonight at all. But the best of intentions go out the window sometimes...Thankfully it was nothing like Wednesday night but I had to have some drinks to celebrate Boof’s birthday. See, I have reasoning and logic for everything! Lol!!

Saturday 23rd May 2009



No rest for the wicked. I got up early to do shopping just down the road, just the bare essentials really. It amazes me how many people aren’t out and about in London on a Saturday morning. I guess they don’t live right smack bang in the middle of the city and only come in for work during the week.

I barely saw anyone on the street and it was 9.30am!

Ended up going out for a full English breakfast at 10.30am! The first one for me! It’s Sarah’s last day in the hostel . Her grandfather passed away so she’s going home, which is really sad. I’m really going to miss her.

I was absolutely stuffed after breakfast. I think people could have rolled me back to the hostel! Fatty fatty pumba!

Thankfully we walked to and from the pub so I didn’t feel so guilty about eating so much food!

A few people continued onto Oxford Street (FYI about a 5 minute walk south of the hostel) for some ‘retail therapy’. I didn’t succumb to the pressure!! Pat on the back for Bec!! I ended up going to the British Museum, which is only a 5
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

Very old paper
minute walk east of the hostel. I’ll put some photos of the hostel up soon!

I only did the 3rd level of the Museum because there is just so much to take in! It’s unbelievable!! So much to see and so many people as well. I took a lot of pictures of mummies and so on. The library in the Museum is astonishing! I was so overwhelmed by it all. You’ll all have to come and see it for yourself!

I’m going to go back and do the rest when I feel up to it. Getting a little tired from walking and having such a huge breakfast. Thankfully it’s free entry!!

It turned out to be a nice day in London but not much happened for the rest of the day. Did some socialising (that doesn’t happen very often...NOT!) and a little bit more drinking. Ended up at the pub across the road called the College Arms sitting outside socialising (again!) and a little bit of skulling or as the Canadians call it chugging. Sometimes not the best idea in the world but still a lot of fun!

Sunday 24th May 2009



So
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

Part of an ancient wall
I succumbed to the pressure and did a bit of shopping with Amelia. Just the bare essentials I swear...I really needed those dresses!! Primark, Topshop and H & M were on the cards today.

Primark - cheap shopping
H & M - a little bit more pricey but still fairly reasonable
Topshop - quite a bit of money, £60 for some dresses that were so cute

I didn’t buy anything from Topshop but dresses from H & M. I bought 3 dresses for less than what Amelia paid for one dress! You know I love my bargains.

Amelia and I are going to see an Australian band British India tonight in a pub. Apparently this place has a lot of music and every night of week as well. Oh well when in London!

It was such a beautiful day outside, a lot of the people had decided to go to Regent’s Park to play a little soccer. Sitting in the sunshine drinking...that’s my cup of tea. Didn’t really watch the guys play soccer...oops! Too busy chatting and drinking and getting my vitamin D fix. It was really nice and it just so happened that the pub
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

Part of an ancient tablet of inscription
we were going to was a 5 minute walk from the pub so we continued on from there.

We had a little trouble finding the place. Wasn’t really sure where it was supposed to be so we walked up and down the street for a while. We checked in some of the pubs but they had no idea. Found the place eventually! It was right at the start of the street. One of the pubs we had walked past but didn’t really take much notice of.

We got there a little early so it was time for a beer! I’m drinking a little bit of beer at the minute, mostly pints too. So you should all be very proud of me! The bands didn’t start until a bit later then they were supposed to and British India was first up.

They were amazing!! I guess you just had to be there but still...Wow what a performance! They played for a good half an hour, which I guess is reasonable for live entertainment but still we wanted more.

The next band up were quite good looking...that’s the thing you first notice before they start to play their
British MuseumBritish MuseumBritish Museum

Egpytian relics
instruments! They were called One School Tie. If you can, look them up. I think they play better live than on their CD but even so they were amazing. The tunes are very catchy! They haven’t made it very big yet but hopefully soon. Amelia loved the band so much she bought their CD.

We sat down back in the bar, when we could find a seat and got another round. We were checking out the A-Z Guide that I had in my bag (everyone is so right it’s a bible that I can’t live without) and these guys start talking to us. It was all fine for a while but then they just wouldn’t leave. Amelia went to the toilet and took forever and ended up talking to other people. They were nice guys but just a little annoying. I’ve never been good at dealing with things like that. His friend ended up leaving so it was just him and me. I was sort of like ‘don’t you need to go with your friend’, you know hint hint but he didn’t take it. ARGH! so frustrating! Finally he decided it was time for him to go and he asked me out for coffee. Really sweet but no. I said that I didn’t drink coffee but that it was really nice meeting him. I was trying to be polite. Apparently I said the wrong thing though, only according to the people back at the hostel later on. Apparently by being polite I could have left the door wide open for dinner because I said that I didn’t like coffee. I have no idea what I was supposed to say instead of that. ‘Thanks but no thanks’ maybe! Anyway he finally left. If he asked for my number I would have given my fake number. I said my real name earlier! Damn!

Ended up leaving at a reasonable hour and it was Sarah’s last night tonight. Her flight is fairly early in the morning.

I didn’t make it back to the hostel for a while though. We met up with some people from the hostel who were getting some food from Subway (open 24 hours) and then they made their way back to the hostel and I went with one of the other guys to go have a couple of drinks with another one of the guys from the hostel. Guys guys everywhere! Unfortunately, my water bottle decided to leak through my handbag. Thankfully only paper at the bottom of my bag got wet and not my phone or Ipod.

Oh just so everyone knows, my Australian sim card stopped working when I switched over phones. So I’m sorry if people sent me messages when I arrived because I may not have got some.

Eventually made it back to the hostel and had a couple of drinks with Sarah and went for a walk with people who needed cigarettes.

After a long, long day it was time for bed again. Thankfully no work tomorrow I start Tuesday.

Monday 25th May 2009



YAH!! Sleep in!! I didn’t get up to say goodbye to Sarah this morning. I did my goodbyes the night before.

Caught up with a lot of the people and found out what they did last night and started reading the Twilight books. I refuse to watch the movie until I read the book!

I got organised for work. I can’t believe I start tomorrow, it’s come around so fast. Getting a little nervous because I’m not really sure what to expect.

Early to bed tonight, I want to be fresh for my first day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 118, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

British MuseumBritish Museum
British Museum

Can't remember what it's called


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb